Get ready for National Voter Registration Day on September 25, 2018. Sign up to become a partner today.
National Voter Registration Day is supported by a broad spectrum of organizations from across the political spectrum, including Secretaries of State, state and local elections administrators, major nonprofits and nonprofit networks, schools and universities, libraries, technology firms, and other civically-conscious businesses across America.
What It’s About
Every year millions of Americans find themselves unable to vote because they miss a registration deadline, don’t update their registration, or aren’t sure how to register. National Voter Registration Day wants to make sure everyone has the opportunity to vote. On Tuesday September 25, 2018 volunteers and organizations from all over the country will “hit the streets” in a single day of coordinated ﬁeld, technology and media efforts. National Voter Registration Day seeks to create broad awareness of voter registration opportunities to reach tens of thousands of voters who may not register otherwise.
What It Involves
- Volunteers in their community or workplace, at schools or public events, or anywhere we can register people to vote
- Technology to help voters ﬁnd registration drives nearby and register to vote online.
- Local organizations, businesses and election offices engaged in their own communities.
- Tens of thousands of voters registering to vote online and ofﬂine in a single day.
What It Will Accomplish
- Registering Voters: In 2016 over 750,000 voters used National Voter Registration Day to register to vote across all 50 states.
- Mobilizing Volunteers: Each year the holiday’s growing number of local partners engage upwards to 10,000 local volunteers.
- Educating Voters: Millions of voters need to register and re-register every year. By utilizing new technology and leveraging partners, we’ll educate Americans in all 50 states about how to register, sign up for election reminders, check their registration online, get mail ballots, learn about early voting and more.
- Uniting for a Common Purpose: National Voter Registration Day is a day of civic unity. It’s an opportunity to set aside differences and celebrate democracy and the rights and opportunities we all share as Americans.
How can I register to vote?
You can register online right now! Find out more about voter registration.
Need help picking a political party (or not)? Check out our FAST FACTS on Political Parties.
National Voter Registration Day is a national holiday celebrating our democracy. It was first observed in 2012 and has been growing in popularity every year since. Held on the fourth Tuesday of September, National Voter Registration Day will be observed on Tuesday, September 25 this year. The holiday has been endorsed by the National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS). It is further supported by the National Association of State Election Directors (NASED).