The League of Women Voters (LWV) and a team of coalition partners are aiming to put a landmark measure on the November 2018 ballot. The campaign needs to collect 900,000 voter signatures by April 24 to make this happen.
What can you do to help?
- Sign the petition
- Gather signatures from your friends and associates
This initiative, entitled “The California Schools and Local Communities Funding Act of 2018”, would raise $6 to $10 billion annually for California schools and local government. This new funding would come from closing a loophole that allows the wealthiest corporate landowners to avoid paying their fair share of property tax.
California once had the best public schools in the country. Today our schools are ranked 41st in per pupil funding. Our streets and sidewalks are in disrepair, health clinics and fire stations have closed, and more affordable housing is much needed. This initiative would raise more revenue for all those needs.
- Under this proposed measure, the tax on commercial and industrial properties would be based on fair market value, instead of purchase price as it is now. Some small businesses would be exempt from reassessment of their real property to market value.
- Property tax rules would remain unchanged for agricultural lands and residential properties – whether owner-occupied or rental.
The League of Women Voters, a longtime advocate for this reform of property tax rules, is a vital partner of the statewide coalition behind this initiative. Other coalition partners include PICO California, California Calls, Evolve, CHIRLA, PICO California, the California Federation of Teachers, Working Partnerships USA, and the ACLU.
If you want to help get this on the ballot, email us at action [at] lwvcs.org. Please let us know if you are willing to collect voter signatures, and we will get you petitions and instructions. If you cannot collect signatures, but would like to sign a petition, we can arrange that as well.
THANKS for adding your voice to this landmark citizens’ effort!
Resources about the Initiative
- Official Title & Summary of the Initiative
- Full Text of the Initiative
- SchoolsAndCommunitiesFirst.org Fact Sheet
- Legislative Analyst’s Fiscal Impact Report
- “Impacts on Silicon Valley and High Tech Industry from Commercial Property Tax Reform”
- “How to Raise Billions for Schools and Services by Reforming the Commercial Property Tax System”