Customer service and intake: Provide support to staff with database management, membership support, mailings, phone intake and much more.
Database Support: Assist in the management of the League's databases and preparation of requested management reports.
Website Maintenance: Assist in the maintenance and updating of the LA League's website, following League's established policies and using the Drupal-based My League Online (MyLO) template for websites.
Voter education: Provide information through our hotline, online and through public presentations; interns may participate as members of the League Speakers Bureau to speak to various groups on ballot measures
Research: Update information related to elections or critical to other League projects, programs, or studies in areas such as housing and homelessness, environmental issues.
Marketing: Projects might include the following: prepare a summary report on our current marketing status; work with the LWVLA executive director to gather information about our target audiences, how our current marketing tactics are performing, and what barriers we may need to overcome.
Communications: Use language and technology skills to develop ways to engage the public and to promote the organization throughout our community.
Mentoring youth: Participate in the League's outreach to schools and classrooms in LAUSD to promote civic engagement. Serve as a facilitator for high school students attending our annual Forum as they engage in discussions with local elected officials.
Community and Media Coordination: Projects might include the following: Editing The VOTER, the League Newsletter and E-Newsletter; drafting and sending out press releases to local newspapers regarding upcoming community events and local meetings that the League of Women Voters of Los Angeles facilitates; updating the public and members-only website, and using your creativity to improve the website in order to increase the user-friendly nature of the site.
Information Planning and Community Outreach: Students may work with League members to plan outreach projects that may include any or all of the following:
- Review and evaluate existing LWV information resources and current distribution media.
- Conduct interviews and focus groups with student or community groups to identify best audiences.
- Design information distribution and communication strategies to reach these audiences.
- Plan campus voter education and/or registration drives, including co-sponsoring activities with the Associated Student Body.
- Design outreach to ethnic groups in the community to encourage them to vote; identify stumbling blocks that may inhibit or prevent their communication with governmental entities; and survey their needs for civic services with which LWV might assist.
Election Management Services: The LWVLA provides help to several organizations, such as: housing developments, neighborhood councils, nonprofit organizations, and homeowner associations, for them to have impartial and equal elections. Interns provide support to the Elections Manager through: helping with mailers, proving support with voting centers, and website updates.
Assisting League Committees: Interns will also get the opportunity to help the various League committees in any projects that might have in progress. These committees are:
- Voter Service
- Program Planning
- City Retirement Benefits
- Carbon Reduction and Climate Change
- Youth Empowered Solutions (YES!)