Support a public county library that provides library services to residents not serviced by a city library.
Support measures which ensure that essential services are provided at all branch libraries.
Support adequate funding for essential library services.
Support the Materials Selection Policy of the San Mateo County Library of July 1999.
Support the continued cooperation and sharing of services among all public libraries in San Mateo County.
County position. Adopted 1983, revised 1998, 2003, amended 2010, 2016
Essential Services, Objectives: Each branch should have:
- Library services for and to all potential users
- Adequate hours of service including evening and weekend hours
- Library resources in keeping with new ideas and technological advances, with an easy-to-use retrieval system
- Provision of adequate professional and nonprofessional paid staff.
- Adequate services in multiple languages
- Funding should be primarily from local taxes, and also from grants and voluntary contributions.
- Fees should be considered only if necessary for services not considered essential.
Sharing of services objective: This includes such programs as those presently administered by the Peninsula Library System, e.g., patron privileges at any public library in the county, interlibrary loans, sharing of reference resources, communication/delivery network, and the Community Information Program.