The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging the informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate.
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
- Voters Service/Citizen Education: we present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and issues.
- Action/Advocacy: we are nonpartisan, but, after study, we use our positions to advocate for or against particular policies in the public interest.
The League of Women Voters is organized by bodies of government, starting with local entities and rolling up to state and national level.
The League of Women Voters, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation.
Our Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions guide our activities.
Members meet monthly in unit meetings to work primarily on local issues. Our Local League is comprised of four units, Carlsbad, Oceanside/Vista, San Dieguito and Escondido. Members of each unit decide annually how to focus efforts in the community. Here's what we do:
- observe our local government and make recommendations for action based on League principles and positions.
- study issues to enable members to reach consensus and create an informed position on which to take action.
- take action to influence public policy, including lobbying, legislative testimony, monitoring, public statements, media campaigns, public forums, forming coalitions and litigation.
- educate ourselves and the public, particularly before an election. We register voters, provide nonpartisan information on the ballot measures, and conduct candidate and issues forums.