How do I register to vote?
TO REGISTER TO VOTE CONTACT:
San Diego County Registrar of Voters 5600 Overland Ave., Suite 100 (Kearny Mesa)
P.O. Box 85656
San Diego CA 92186-5656
Website: http://www.sdvote.com -- Email: rovmail [at] sdcounty.ca.gov
- THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER BEFORE THE JUNE 5, 2018 ELECTION is May 21, 2018. Online or postmark by mail must be by that day. Or you can conditionally register and vote at the San Diego County elections office after the 15-day voter registration deadline.
- In-Person Voting is available starting May 10, 2018, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday and on Election Day 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.
- Vote-by-Mail - One Time Request
If you wish to vote by mail but do not wish to be a permanent mail ballot voter, you can submit an application specific to the election you wish to vote. The request must be received by the Registrar's office no later than 7 days prior the election. Click here to request a mail ballot from the ROV for the upcoming election and get more important information about returning your mail ballot.
MID-TERM GENERAL ELECTION NOVEMBER 6, 2018
SPECIAL ELECTIONS: May occur at other times.
You must re-register if you:
- have changed your address
- your name
- or your party affiliation.
To Vote you must be:
- a U.S. Citizen
- 18 years of age
- and a registered voter for 15 days
You can pre-register to vote if:
- you are 16 or 17 years of age
- your registration becomes active on your 18th birthday
- more info here
Where to Vote
- Before an election, a sample ballot is sent to each registered voter telling the precinct number, the address of the assigned
- Absentee or voting by mail
If you are unable to vote in person, you can apply for a vote-by-mail ballot by contacting the Registrar of Voters from the 60th to the 7th day before election day. Or you use the application on the back cover of the sample ballot.
How to Keep Voter Registration Up to Date:
- Always vote.
- When you move within the county or change your name, request a change form from county voter registrar.
- If you move out of county, you must re-register with the county of your new residence.
- Address change must be completed 30 days prior to Election Day.
- You may return to your former precinct to vote for 90 days after a move.
Why Bother To Vote
- Your vote does make a difference.
Elections have been won by only one vote. American democracy is a participatory form of government.
- Express your opinion - voting gives you the power. Voting is the most important right of citizenship because it is the only means you have of preserving all your other rights.