Volunteers make everything we do possible. It's our volunteers who organize our programs and forums, speakers, and our Annual City-Wide Luncheon. The League of Women Voters Oakland is a volunteer-run organization and our success depends on the enthusiastic participation of our members.
- Gain experience in leadership and collaboration
- Hone your skills or learn new ones
- Learn about critical advocacy and voter education activities
- Get a behind-the-scenes view of League operations and decision making
- Meet other fascinating League members!Interested? See opportunities below and check out our calendar for upcoming events and committee meetings! Questions? Email info [at] lwvoakland.org or call our office at 510-834-7640.
We receive many requests from community groups to provide speakers on ballot issues, and we hope to reach out to new communities that previously have not taken advantage of our services. We need speakers and would especially welcome speakers that are bilingual. For those of you who have never participated, speaking to the community on ballot issues can be one of the most rewarding League activities.
- We need people to staff tables at various events, talking to people about issues and distributing publications.
- During election season, we need people to help with candidate forums.
Anyone who is interested should contact Deborah Shefler at voterservice [at] lwvoakland.org or call the office at 510-834-7640.
Volunteers are generally called upon during the General Election years and for special Citywide events. We accomplish registration in the following ways:
- tabling at community events
- partnering with other groups to help with their registration efforts
- presentation of Pros and Cons ballot measures (with training)
- being a timer or a greeter at Candidate Forums
- posting information on Voter's Edge website (with training)
- providing instruction and or materials to other groups.
If interested,please contact Voter Registration Coordinator Sandy Venning at registration [at] lwvoakland.org or call the office at 510-834-7640.
Monitor city council meetings and other local government bodies on their work. Write reports on your observations. Learn more about the Observer Corps!
Outreach, Education and Membership
Join LWVO in keeping the League strong and visible in Oakland! The Membership Committee promotes the League to grow membership, helps educate and register voters, as well as leverages our diverse members' interests and skills. We are tabling at the following events, consider volunteering! Check out our calendar for more details and signups.
Join an LWVO Committee
Most of the work we do happens in our Committees. Find one that matches your interests! See the LWVO Committee list and work here!
Protect Democracy at Local, State, and National Levels... Stay Connected!
- Sign up for blogs and newsletters from your elected officials.
- Take Action! See LWVO's Action Alerts. Sign up here to get National League action alert emails or California League action alerts-- then respond to your elected officials!
- Learn about issues and positions at the state level. Check out LWV California's website here.