LWVO Local Issues for Education and Advocacy 2018-2019
- Provide better publicity and public education on Ranked Choice Voting
- Work for improved public access and input to City Council and School Board meetings: more informative agendas, better definitions of time limits for public speakers, etc.
- Increase Civic Engagement among members of the public and our League
- Ensure that we have a robust functioning Observer Corps
- Support affordable housing throughout the City of Oakland
- Meeting human needs (healthcare, housing transportation, preventing poverty)
- Public safety (dumping and graffiti, police commission, better communication among City departments)
- Records Management/Boards and Commissions
- Observer Corps/Civic Engagement
Alameda County Issues for Education and Advocacy 2018-19: Not Prioritized
- CSEC (Commercially Sexually Exploited Children)
- Alameda County Office of Education oversight of school district budget
- Post-secondary education opportunities for those in the juvenile justice system who have completed high school
- Advocacy for the needs of senior residents in the county
These are our positions, resulting from our studies. We use these positions as a basis for our advocacy and recommendations:
- Link here to LWVO Local Positions
Alameda County Council Positions
- Link here to Alameda County Council positions.
LWV Bay Area Positions
- Link here to LWV Bay Area positions
LWVC and LWVUS Positions
How Does The League Select Issues for Emphasis?
In League, Program means the issues that we choose for concerted study, education and action at local, state and national levels. Program can include both education and action.
The Program Planning process is part of what makes the League a grassroots organization; each League member has the opportunity to influence the selection of issues where the local, state, and national League will focus time, talent and money.
Every two years, members of local Leagues engage in Program Planning. Based on the results of this, the Board of Directors makes recommendations to the biennial convention delegates about the program to be adopted for the coming two year period.