The League of Women Voters of Sacramento County is a member of the League of Women Voters of the United States and the League of Women Voters of California. We share the same mission, goals, values and beliefs.
The League of Women Voters of Sacramento was founded in the late 1930s and became incorporated in April 1965. The League officially expanded its representation to the entire county of Sacramento and changed its name to the League of Women Voters of Sacramento County in January 2005.
In July 2015, the League of Women Voters of Sacramento County became a 501(c)(3) corporation.
For a complete history of the League of Women Voters of the United States, see.
Our Mission & Goals
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization. Our mission is to empower voters and defend democracy. We promote informed, active participation in government, work to increase the understanding of major public-policy issues, and influence public policy through education and advocacy. Our goal is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
You can find the League of Women Voters of Sacramento County's current priorities in pursuit of this goal in our Issues for Emphasis section.
Our Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political membership organization.
- act after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- build citizen participation in the democratic process
- engage communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
We believe in:
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- the power of collective decision-making for the common good.
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.