The League of Women Voters of Sacramento County supports...
- the decriminalization of homelessness.
- measures that provide for the needs of homeless people, with responsibility shared by the public and private sectors, with government assuming the primary role.
- the provision of permanent housing affordable to low-income persons as the main solution to the growing problem of homelessness.
- emergency, transitional, and long-term plans to meet the needs of homeless people. The primary focus should be on individuals and families who do not qualify for federal and/or state assistance programs.
- making public and private buildings available for emergency shelters where facilities meet health standards. Sacramento County and its cities should provide financial support to the private sector to develop long-term shelters.
- programs to help homeless people become self-sufficient, including: counseling, substance-abuse treatment, job training, educational and vocational counseling, child care, medical, dental and mental health services, tutorial programs, first month's rent and deposit assistance and transportation.
League to which this content belongs:Sacramento County