The League of Women Voters of Sacramento County supports effective city and county planning programs based upon general plans, community plans, environmental impact studies, and land use principles which include:
1. preservation of open space, agricultural land, and natural waterways;
2. optimum use of industrial and commercial land;
3. planned acquisition of recreational land;
4. efficiently operating planning departments and commissions;
5. clear policy statements regarding general planning trends in the community.
The League of Women Voters of Sacramento County supports project and policy planning commissions and community planning councils as they implement the goals of the general plans.
As an alternative to total government financing, the League supports methods by which those who profit from new development beyond the existing urban service boundaries pay for the extra infrastructure needed.
To solve problems associated with new development, the League strongly supports regional planning through the Council of Governments and the use of joint powers agreements.
Secondarily, we support the EPA-mandated consistency of the Regional Transportation Plan with attainment on National Ambient Air Quality Standards.
The League supports zoning to allow the use of higher densities in housing where it will facilitate the use of public transit, bicycling, and walking. We also urge a review of high density housing proposals to assure that adequate open space is provided and good design is incorporated.