Our League's newsletter The VOTER is published quarterly.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a link to our current issue of the VOTER.
Are you interested in writing an article for our next issue? Please contact Dave Humphreys, editor to find out more information.
January 2019 News Briefs
Women’s March – January 19, 2019 at Mitchell Park
The League will participate with a booth in Call to Action Alley at the Women’s March SLO event again next year.
Women’s March SLO 2019 – Truth to Power will be held Saturday, January 19, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm starting at Mitchell Park in San Luis Obispo. The organizers note “This is a “Pro-Peace, Pro-Inclusivity March and we respectfully ask that targeting of any one group or person not happen at this event. This does not mean we don’t acknowledge these feelings and points of view, but this is not the focus of this particular march.”
RSVP or for more information go to the website at https://womensmarchslo.com/truth-to-power/.
Program Planning Meeting – January 26, 2019
The all-important Program Planning meeting – the meeting to develop our program for 2019 – 2020 – will be Saturday, January 26, 2019, from 9:00 am to noon at the Wesley Room of the United Methodist Church, 1515 Fredericks Street in San Luis Obispo. We’ll discuss League processes and priorities and 2nd VP Deb Humphreys will use the “café format” for small group discussions. Several important things will happen.
- We’ll review our current local positions and determine if we want to make any changes or undertake any new studies.
- We’ll decide on the areas and issues we want to focus our resources on in 2019 – 2020, both local issues and issues from State and National such as campaign finance reform and healthcare.
- We’ll consider a proposal from a statewide LWVC task force that we support their effort to have a new position on Criminal Justice adopted by LWVC by concurrence.
- We’ll consider a proposal from LWV Sacramento that we support their effort to have their position on Voter Representative/Election Process adopted by LWVC by concurrence.
(See Meetings 2018 - 2019\Program Planning 1-26-19\Summary of Concurrence Proposals.docx for a summary of the proposals.)
- We’ll decide the next steps we might take on the effort to abolish the Electoral College. For more information on this issue see the attached document from the LWV Illinois Electoral College Committee.
- We’ll have coffee, pastries and snacks to enjoy, good company & lively discussion.
Tri-County League Educational Workshop – February 2, 2019
San Luis Obispo County League members are invited to attend a Tri-County League Educational Workshop on Saturday, February 2, in Santa Barbara. LWVC President Helen Hutchison and Executive Director Melissa Breach will come to the Central Coast to educate us about local advocacy and the important League Transformation that will shape our organization for the next century. The workshop will be from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Society, 1535 Santa Barbara Street in Santa Barbara. We will coordinate transportation for those members who wish to attend. Please RSVP to Co-President Ann Havlik at annhavlik [at] aol.com as soon as possible.