An invitation from Maxine Waters:
Like so many of you, I am deeply concerned about the affordable housing and homelessness crisis facing Greater Los Angeles and communities across the country.
As the Chairwoman of the House Committee on Financial Services, which has oversight responsibility of the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development and other federal housing agencies, I am pleased to inform you that on Wednesday, August 14, 2019, my Committee will host a field hearing entitled, “Examining the Homelessness Crisis in Los Angeles” at the California African American Museum right here in Los Angeles.
During the hearing, members of our community will have the opportunity to hear directly from Financial Services Committee members, state and local officials, experts, and advocates who will discuss actions we can take to confront the homelessness crisis with the urgency it deserves, such as my landmark bill, H.R. 1856, The Ending Homelessness Act, which will provide $13 billion in emergency funding to end homelessness in America.
- Members of the House Financial Services Committee
- Members of the California Delegation
- Panel I:
- Christina Miller, Deputy Mayor for City Homelessness Initiatives, Office of the Los Angeles Mayor
- Peter Lynn, Executive Director, Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority
Margarita Lares, Chief Program Officer, Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles
- Monique King-Viehland, Executive Director, Los Angeles County Development Authority
- Kevin Murray, Former State Senator and President and CEO, The Weingart Center
- Panel II:
- Tim Watkins, President and Chief Executive Officer, Watts Labor Community Action Committee,
- Joe Horiye, Western Region Program Vice President, Local Initiatives Support Corporation
- Becky Dennison, Executive Director, Venice Community Housing
- Isela Gracian, President, East LA Community Corporation
- Anthony Haynes, Speak Up! Advocate, Corporation for Supportive Housing
- Erika Hartman, Chief Program Officer, Downtown Women’s Center
- Chancela Al-Mansour, Executive Director, Housing Rights Center
- Panel III:
- Eric Garcetti, Mayor, City of Los Angeles
* Additional witnesses may be announced.WHAT: Field Hearing Entitled, “Examining the Homelessness Crisis in Los Angeles”
WHEN: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 10:00AM
WHERE: California African American Museum, 600 State Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90037I am looking forward to this important hearing on the homelessness crisis in Los Angeles. If you are unable to join, the hearing will also be broadcast live at https://financialservices.house.gov/live/.
Maxine WatersMember of Congress