Explore the areas that match your skills and interests. Together we can help make democracy work!
Poverty, Health and Juvenile Justice | Voter Services
Voting Rights/Amendment 4 | Newsletter | Digital Media Team | Transportation | Environment | Education | International Relations | National Popular Vote
- Research poverty, equity and affordable housing
- Create presentations explaining League positions
- Educate others on poverty/health/housing and juvenile justice issues
- Advocate with non-profit agencies and legislators
- Present League recommendations to local and state boards
Want to know more? Contact lwvpoverty [at] gmail.com (Beth Hovind)
- Inform the public on voting rights and the voting process before an election
- Participate in Get-Out-The-Vote activities (postcard writing, mailings, announcements)
- Register and update voters
- Participate in and organize candidate forums
- Prepare Voter Guides - obtain answers from all candidates to questions on issues
- Observe County Canvassing Board during elections and other meetings
- Conduct Supervisor of Elections interviews
CERTIFY TO PERFORM VOTER REGISTRATION: To volunteer to register voters, you must first be a League member and be certified by the League of Women Voters of Florida.
- Voter Registration Certification Training
- Voter Registration Certification Quiz
- List of Certified League Volunteers
The League continues to be an active supporter of Amendment 4 in Florida, which restored voting rights to former felons who have completed their sentence, except for those convicted of murder or felony sex offenses. The League will actively support voting rights restoration activities for returning citizens. Through ex-offender and returning citizen alliances in Pinellas and Pasco Counties to educate them on the political process and voting rights. Informed, educated, and civically-engaged citizens are less likely to be involved in recidivism.
Want to know more? Contact erprojectextreme [at] gmail.com (Julia Pauls) or karen [at] owenta.com (Karen Owen)
- Read our current issue!
- Proofread The Voter before distribution to the membership
- Contribute articles and photos for publication in The Voter on such topics as:
- Summary of one of the LWVNPC events
- Interview with a speaker prior to the LWVNPC event
- Summary of LWVNPC committee activities
- Interview with a new member
- Progress of bills related to issues on which the League has a position
- Are you technology-savvy?
- Can you work with digital media, images, software platforms, web content creation?
- Help us with our social media, web site, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and publicity while carefully following our principles of non-partisanship
Monitor the organizations that are working on solutions to transportation needs in the Tampa Bay area:
- Forward Pinellas - A land use and transportation planning agency
- Plan Hillsborough - A transportation policy-making board
- Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Agency (TBARTA) - Serving a 7-county region
Monitor the Florida Legislature to ensure they observe the following:
- Adhere to Amendment 1, the Florida Land and Water Conservation Act passed in 2014, as intended by voters
- Restore funding for the land conservation program, Florida Forever
- Keep Florida State Parks from logging, cattle grazing, excessive RV camping, and other commercial endeavors
Contact dave [at] beyourbestinc.com (Dave Sillman) or pk2020world [at] gmail.com (Stephanie Bolden)
Provides community education and advocacy for LWVNPC policies and positions on education issues in Pinellas County.
- Initiate study of local education issues
- Initiate and promote candidate forums for open school board positions as needed
- Educate League members and the public on LWVNPC positions on education reform and funding
- Promote international peace and security
- Advance the social and economic well-being of the world’s people
- Ensure respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
- Foster trust and cooperation among nations by encouraging adherence to conventions, treaties, and other international agreements
- Protect the integrity of the world environment
- Achieve the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of civil and political life
The LWVFL believes it is time electors are guided by the majority of Americans who agree on the person who should lead the nation. Acting in concert with the electoral system, we are working to educate the public and legislators about the benefits of legislation that would instruct our electors to vote for the Presidential candidate who captures the most votes in all 50 states.
Want to know more? Contact ellenisiegman [at] gmail.com (Ellen Siegman)