Where hands-on work to safeguard democracy leads to civic improvement!
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters of the United States operates at the national level, studying issues and advocating for policies that affect the whole nation, with grassroots support from state and local Leagues.
The League of Women Voters of the United States have developed position statements over the years on a number of issues covering a wide range of topics.
Public Policy Position Issue Areas
- Representative Government Promote an open governmental system that is representative, accountable and responsive.
- International Relations Promote peace in an interdependent world by working cooperatively with other nations and strengthening international organizations.
- Natural Resources Promote an environment beneficial to life through the protection and wise management of natural resources in the public interest.
- Social Policy Secure equal rights and equal opportunity for all. Promote social and economic justice and the health and safety of all Americans.
Action & Advocacy
Find Your Representative to TAKE ACTION!
- Improving Elections Democracy only works as well as its elections processes. Right now voting rights are under attack and money in elections has never been higher. The League is fighting back against restrictive voter id laws and voter registration systems, and shorter early voting periods. All eligible voters should have an equal ability to vote.
- Improving Government The League strives to ensure that government at every level works as effectively and fairly as possible. This involves continual attention to issues of transparency, a strong and diverse judiciary, appropriate government oversight, and funding.
- Global Democracy
- Other International Issues
News & Events
Get up-to-date news from the LWVUS on their News & Media page—find the latest Press Releases, Speeches & Testimony, and Multimedia among other options.