Action Alerts allow you to prompt your audience to take an action during a period of time you specify; you can also subscribe to other Leagues' action alerts. Because you must specify the date range and customize the action for your own Action Alerts, these alerts must be created individually. Once created, each action alert will dynamically fill your League's Action Alerts list; the alerts from Leagues you are subscribed to will appear at the bottom of your League's Action Alerts list, too (without any extra effort from you). Your Action Alerts will always be found at:
- my.lwv.org/state-league/local-league/action-alerts (for local Leagues)
- my.lwv.org/state-league/action-alerts (for state Leagues)
To create an Action Alert, follow these steps along with the screenshots as your guide.
- While on your homepage, expand the Administrator League Site menu.
- You'll find this icon under your site menu:
- From the drop-down list of options, click Add Action Alert. This will open a new draft of a new action alert.
Add a Title.
- Time Range for Action Alert: Specify the duration of the action alert with start and end dates.
- ISSUES REFERENCED BY THIS ACTION ALERT: Add related issue(s) to the action alert. This list is comprised of the current issues at the National League and California League. If you would like issue topics added, please email MyLO Support at mylo [at] lwvc.org.
- POSITIONS REFERENCED BY THIS ALERT: Add related position(s) to the action alert. The list is all-inclusive (all Leagues displayed) and the positions are in order by position title then League name. We recommend searching by League name to narrow down the list.
- THIS ACTION ALERT IS RELATED TO WHICH COMMITTEES: Add related committee(s). This list also all-inclusive, and the League follows the name of each committee. We recommend searching by League name to narrow down the list.
- RELATED EVENT: Add related event(s). This list is in chronological order and is all-inclusive. We recommend searching by event date or event name to easily find the specific event.
- Location: Click to expand section if there is a location where this action alert will take place. Adding text here will create a Google Maps link upon saving.
- BODY: Add text to the Body.
- (Edit summary): Add a short blurb about the action alert. This summary displays when viewing the Action Alerts list, or when you promote the action alert to the front page. If you do NOT add your own customized summary, the first few lines from the Body text will automatically be taken as the preview for this Action Alert. For help with editing the summary, check out this documentation: https://my.lwv.org/mylo/using-summary-option.
- BODY WITH EMBED CODE: If more space for text is needed, add an additional text box or add HTML embed code (e.g. embed code for an event registration widget or payment button).
Skip to step 19 if you are ready to publish your changes.
- MAIN IMAGE: Add a main image that will serve as the header of the action alert's page. You can upload a new image, or grab an existing one from the Media Library.
- Downloads/ATTACH MEDIA: Add attachments/downloads. These items will only display as a link on the page (to be opened in a new tab).
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION DIRECT LINK: Add a link to a discussion forum/board related to the action alert.
- FURTHER INFORMATION: If you have an informational webpage, add the link to that page under URL, and under "Title" add the description of the page.
- PUBLIC OR MEMBERS ONLY?: By default, the content is public. You can change it to private so that the content is only viewed by authenticated users (users with login access).
- LEAGUE TO WHICH THIS CONTENT BELONGS: This field remains unchanged.
- Publishing Options:
- Promoted to front page: checking this box will display a preview of the action alert on the homepage. When checked, the summary displays at this point on the homepage, OR, if no customized summary exists for this alert, the first few lines from the Body text will automatically be taken as the preview.
- MODERATION STATE: If you are happy with your changes, set this state to Published.
- Click Save to save your changes to this action alert.