New York State
The State League office is closed for the duration of the national emergency. Please email Laura@lwvny.org if you have questions or need information.
2020 Elections (as of April 1, 2020)
The State League is monitoring all proposals that affect the upcoming elections and will keep the public informed as to changes in dates, deadlines, absentee ballot availability, etc. Check back here as details emerge.
Presidential, Congressional, State, and Local Primaries, June 23, 2020
EARLY VOTING JUNE 13 - 21
- May 29 is the last day to register in person or to postmark your voter registration form
- June 16 is the last day to postmark application for absentee ballot by mail
- June 22 is the last day to apply in person at board of elections for absentee ballot
- June 22 is the last day to postmark absentee ballot
- June 23 is the last day to deliver absentee ballot in person at board of elections
GOVERNOR POSTPONES PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY
We are pleased to share that Governor Cuomo has heeded our advice and postponed the April 28th presidential primary and special election to June 23rd.
Stay tuned for more updates about absentee ballot deadlines and other elections information.
COVID-19 Voting and Government
- Take Action Toolkit to Advocate to Expand Absentee Voting in New York State (4/1/2020)
- Good Government Group Joint Letter On Postponement of April Primary (3/27/2020)
- Good Government Groups Urge Legislature to Adopt Transparency Measures During Social Distancing (3/25/2020)
- League Statement on Consolidating April and June Primary (3/25/2020)
- Voting Rights Groups Call on Governor and Legislature to Prepare for Voting Modifications During National Health Crisis (3/25/2020)
- For the most up to date information on voting during the state of emergency visit: https://www.elections.ny.gov/
CHAMPION FOR CHANGE: An Intimate Conversation with Barbara Bartoletti
Thank you for attending our Champion For Change event!
Facebook Album of photos
Livestream of conversation between Barbara Bartoletti and Liz Benjamin
Co-sponsored by The League of Women Voters of NYS Education Foundation and the Archives Partnership Trust.
2020 Regional Training Workshops - Cancelled
2020 Students Inside Albany Conference - Cancelled
- League of Women Voters Testimony on Funding Elementary and Secondary Education (2/12/2020)
- State League Testimony before NYS Senate Public Hearing on Foundation Aid, Dec 3, 2019
- LWV of NYC Testimony before NYS Senate Public Hearing on Foundation Aid, Dec. 3, 2019.
- LWVNY Testimony on Redistricting Commission Funding (2/14/2020)
- Letter to Legislators on Independent Redistricting Commission Appointment Deadline (1/30/2020)
- Press Release on Letter to Legislators about Redistricting Commission Appointment Deadline (1/30/2020)
- LWVNYS New York State Independent Redistricting Commission Facts (11/12/2019)
- Press Release on Redistricting Formation Deadline (11/12/2019)
- League sends letter to all members of Legislature regarding Independent Redistricting Commission formation deadline (11/12/2019)
- League Signs Letter to Public Campaign Financing Commission Urging Early Release of Recommendations (10/7/2019)
- League Testimony before NYS Public Campaign Financing Commission (9/10/2019)
- League Joins Other Groups Urging NYS Public Financing Commission to Stay Focused on Campaign Finance Reform (8/27/2019)
GOVERNOR & BILLS
- League of Women Voters Testimony On Funding for Voting and Elections (2/12/2020)
- Report on Early Voting Survey (11/27/2019)
- Early Voting Testimony Before Joint Committee on Election Law and Early Voting Survey Report (11/20/2019)
- PRESS RELEASE (7/26/2019)
LWVNYS and LWVUS join others to send a notice letter warning the Rensselaer County Board of Elections that disclosure of DMV voter registration information to ICE blatantly violates the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA)
100 YEARS AND BEYOND: CELEBRATING THE STATE LEAGUE'S CENTENNIAL
Check out our Photo Gallery!
HISTORIES OF THE STATE AND LOCAL LEAGUES IN NYS
In celebration of the state League’s 100th anniversary, we have published two books: one commemorating the state League’s 100 years and one of histories from many of our local Leagues. Purchase your copies now!
- A Force to Reckon With: A Centennial History of the League of Women Voters of New York State.
- Forces to Reckon With: A Collection of Histories of the Local Leagues in New York State.
CELEBRATING OUR 100th ANNIVERSARIES
LWVNYS will be 100 years old on November 19, 2019; LWVUS will be 100 years old on February 14, 2020; The 19th Amendment giving women the vote was officially added to the U.S. Constitution on August 26, 1920. We have a lot to celebrate! And more to do reach the goals of the suffragists and really make democracy work for everyone. Here are some resources to help your League celebrate. Contact Joan Johnson & Barbara Thomas , co-chairs of the 100th Anniversary Events Committee for more information.
MORE TO FOLLOW, STAY TUNED....
TEACHING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS HOW TO ENGAGE IN POLITICS
The state League and the NYS Social Studies Supervisory Association (NYS4A) are pleased to announce the publication of seven lesson plans on state and local government for teachers of the New York Grade 12 Participation in Government course.
JOIN THE STATE LEAGUE'S EFFORTS TO REVIEW ITS POSITIONS
We are looking forward to working with local Leagues and members on the two specific updates approved at Convention in June (Constitutional Convention Position and Financing Healthcare) and the first two of our planned updates of different sections of Impact on Issues (Election Law and Government.) A thorough and complete review of Impact has been a major theme of program planning for the last couple years and was made more feasible by the recent changes made by the board to the update and study processes. Read more