New York State
News and Announcements
JOIN THE STATE LEAGUE'S EFFORTS TO REVIEW ITS POSITIONS (8/6/2019)
We are looking forward to working with local Leagues and members on the two specific updates approved at Convention in June (Constitutional Convention Position and Financing Healthcare) and the first two of our planned updates of different sections of Impact on Issues (Election Law and Government.) A thorough and complete review of Impact has been a major theme of program planning for the last couple years and was made more feasible by the recent changes made by the board to the update and study processes.
PRESS RELEASE (7/26/2019)
LWVNYS and LWVUS join others to send a notice letter warning the Rensselaer County Board of Elections that disclosure of DMV voter registration information to ICE blatantly violates the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA)
HISTORIES OF THE STATE AND LOCAL LEAGUES IN NYS
In celebration of the state League’s 100th anniversary, we have published two books: one commemorating the state League’s 100 years and one of histories from many of our local Leagues. Purchase your copies now!
- A Force to Reckon With: A Centennial History of the League of Women Voters of New York State.
- Forces to Reckon With: A Collection of Histories of the Local Leagues in New York State.
LWVNYS State Convention was held June 7-9, 2019 in Albany, NY
Workshop presentations and handouts.
CELEBRATING OUR 100th ANNIVERSARIES
LWVNYS will be 100 years old on November 19, 2019; LWVUS will be 100 years old on February 14, 2020; The 19th Amendment giving women the vote was officially added to the U.S. Constitution on August 26, 1920. We have a lot to celebrate! And more to do reach the goals of the suffragists and really make democracy work for everyone. Here are some resources to help your League celebrate. Contact Joan Johnson & Barbara Thomas , co-chairs of the 100th Anniversary Events Committee for more information.
TEACHING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS HOW TO ENGAGE IN POLITICS
The state League and the NYS Social Studies Supervisory Association (NYS4A) are pleased to announce the publication of seven lesson plans on state and local government for teachers of the New York Grade 12 Participation in Government course.
- State Board of Elections Petition Filing Calendar
- League’s Education Foundation 2017-18 Annual Report
- The accomplishments of the League’s Education Foundation last year are documented and photographed in the new Annual Report. See it here.
- State Board Updates - May 2019
- Additional League SBUs can be found on the State Board Updates page of this website.
- State Voter - May 2019
- Make every day Thanksgiving. VOTE with your consumer dollars to prevent food waste.
Beth Radow, chair of the NYS League’s committee on Energy, Agriculture and the Environment has prepared a BE EARTHWISE guide for you to VOTE with your consumer dollars and daily practices to toss less food & feed more people while saving money and our natural resources. Also, watch Beth Radow’s interview with League member Ina Aronow on the environment and making a difference against climate change--with a focus on food.
- Interview on Environment and Climate Change
- Author of the BE EARTHWISE GUIDE: an on-line educational resource available through the League of Women Voters of NYS that engages citizens to reduce the impacts of food waste on our finite natural resources and climate change through informed food purchases, preparation (such as reducing meat consumption & eating leftovers), diverting food away from the waste stream and onto the plates of our food insecure population. (20I8)
- Author of BE EARTHWISE: an on-line educational resource website available through the League of Women Voters of NYS that engages citizens to preserve natural resources and address the impacts of climate change through their consumer purchases, activities of daily living and advocacy communication with elected representatives and corporations. (2017)