League of Women Voters of the Rivertowns members are needed to volunteer for a variety of things. If you have a specific skill or interest that you would like to share contact us at info [at] lwv-rivertowns.org.
Current Opportunities with Immediate Needs:
If either of these positions would be of interest to you, kindly contact Lynn Levine, President at your earliest convenience! Call her at 914-588-4543 or write to rootydog [at] gmail.com
- Publicity Chair: Publicize local League events; prepare and organize distribution of fliers; prepare press releases; email announcements to all members; send info about events to web editor; promote events on social media; update our paper brochure as needed and arrange for printing.
- Bulletin Editor (Online): Three or four times a year collect and write up info for our bulletin from the various committee heads and format for online distribution to membership.
- Voter services: Plan and coordinates candidates’ forums, gather candidate information for use with the Vote411.org website and Voters Guide, oversee distribution of Voters Guide to individuals, schools, and businesses. Contact Jodie Reaver (reaverdillon [at] mac.com).
- Publicity: Post information on online outlets, write press releases, design flyers. Contact Char Weigel (caweigel [at] verizon.net).
- Website: Maintain current information about the League on our website. Contact Bria Judkins (bria.judkins [at] gmail.com).
- Social media: Publicize League events on Social Media sites. Contact Sue Weisfeld (sweisfeld [at] juno.com).
- Membership: Maintain contact information for members, send welcome packets to new members, meet personally with new members, contact non-members who attend events, follow up with members who have not renewed. Contact Ruth DeFord Kotecha (rdeford [at] post.harvard.edu) or Adelaide DiGiorgi (adigiorgi [at] optonline.net).
- Events: Propose topics and speakers for hot topics breakfasts, movie nights, educational forums, etc., and make arrangements for them. This may include arranging for refreshments, setting up and cleaning up, etc. Contact Char Weigel (caweigel [at] verizon.net) or Susan Schwarz (sdschwarz [at] aol.com).
- Advocacy: Keep track of current League positions; lobby elected officials, write letters to editors, plan forums on issues, etc. Contact George Calvi (georgecalvi [at] optonline.net).
- Youth outreach: Contacts local high schools to recruit applicants for Students Inside Albany and Running & Winning,promote voter registration for 18-year-olds, recruit interns for League projects. Contact Char Weigel (caweigel [at] verizon.net).
- Environment: The Environment Committee meets about every two months to discuss environmental issues, especially those of local concern. Anyone who is interested should sign up to receive information by email and attend meetings whenever possible. Contact Emma Lou Louis (elsailors [at] mail.com).
- Health Care: Members of the Health Care committee attend meetings of the County Health Committee and report to the board about issues that are discussed there. They also help to develop questions on health policy for meetings with elected officials. Contact Michele Noe (michelelnoe [at] gmail.com).
- Poverty study: The Poverty Study coordinator needs people to help with data collection for the project. Contact Sue Weisfeld (sweisfeld [at] juno.com).
- Naturalization Court: The League chapters in Westchester County take turns sending volunteers to the monthly Naturalization ceremonies in White Plains to welcome new citizens, inform them about the League, and provide them with information on voter registration. Our chapter is responsible for two ceremonies per year. Two members attend each ceremony (which takes 2-3 hours) and greet people as they leave. Contact Lynn Levine (rootydog [at] gmail.com).