The League of Women Voters of the City of New York is a non-partisan organization whose purpose is to promote informed and active citizen participation in government. We are committed to empowering citizens with the meaningful information needed to make sound decisions for our democracy.
Founded in 1919, the League of Women Voters of the City of New York was an offshoot of the Women’s Suffrage movement. While the League's legislative priorities change to reflect the needs of society, our organization remains true to its basic purpose: to make democracy work for all citizens. Membership is open to all people who support our causes. The League is supported by membership dues and contributions from public-spirited individuals, businesses and organizations.
The League's enduring vitality comes from its unique decentralized structure; working at the national, state, and local levels.
In New York City, the League provides:
- Telephone Information Services: answering questions about city, state and national government, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Educational publications, including: What Makes New York City Run?, a citizen’s guide to New York City government, and They Represent You, an annually updated directory of city, state and federal legislators who represent New York residents.
- Candidate debates that inform and stimulate: The League and WABC, for example, were selected by the Campaign Finance Board to conduct the official televised candidate debates for the Mayoral, Comptroller and Public Advocate races during the municipal elections in 2001, 2005 and 2009.
- Speakers on the political process and public issues and moderators for candidate forums.
- Helpful tools to contact your elected officials, such as the website Who Represents Me, maintained in partnership with the CUNY Graduate Center.
Online League Resources:
- New York State League of Women Voters Website
- New York State League of Women Voters Impact on Issues (PDF)
- New York State League of Women Voters Legislative Agenda (PDF)
- National League of Women Voters Website
If you've wandered onto our site from outside of New York City, find your local League here.
|Vice President of Communications||Crystal Joseph|
|Vice President of Development||Susie Gomes|
|Vice President of Membership||Ashmi Sheth|
|Vice President of Technology||Shelly Warwick|
Board of Directors
|Board Director||Barbara Ettington|
|Board Director||Cathy Gray|
|Board Director||Patricia Manning|
|Board Director||Dorothy Ouzidane|
|Board Director||Laura Quigg|
|Board Director||Kai Rosenthal|
|Board Director||Bella Wang|
|Advisory Board||Judi Allen|
|Advisory Board||Barbara Biben|
|Advisory Board||James Cotins|
|Advisory Board||Jay Hershenson|
|Advisory Board||Richard Leibner|
|Advisory Board||Debra O'Connell|
|Advisory Board||Malva Rabinowitz|
|Advisory Board||Alair Townsend|
|Advisory Board||Kathryn Wylde|
|Advisory Board||Linda Zango-Haley|