Support funding by the state to ensure that all Ohio citizens have access to higher education that provides general education and job preparation. Support Board of Regents, appointed by the Governor with confirmation by the Senate, to be a planning, coordinating board with broad policy-making powers.
(adopted May 1997; amended 2005)
LWVO believes that:
- The Board of Regents should be a planning and coordinating Board with broad policy-making powers.
- The Board of Regents should be appointed by the Governor with confirmation by the Senate. The legislature should establish appropriate criteria for board members to ensure that the Board can function effectively and efficiently as a policy-making/planning body.
- The state should provide funding to ensure that all Ohio citizens (meeting given institutional academic standards) have access to higher education that provides general education and job preparation. Ability to pay should not determine admission. (Amended May 2005)
- In order of priority a state funding system for public higher education should be to: (Amended May 2005)
- provide a basic level of support to all public institutions of higher education,
- provide partial funding for capital improvements and maintenance, and
- provide scholarships.