The League of Women Voters of Coos County supports conscientious management of the Port of Coos Bay.
Adopted in 1962. Updated in 1981 and 2000.
Support for the Port of Coos Bay to include the following:
- Be a leader in cooperation among governmental jurisdictions
- Accurately assess and plan for future needs
- Rigorously examine the financial solvency of port users seeking public funding
- Put the overall public interest ahead of special interests
- Be deliberate, yet aggressive, in the practice of sound business
- Employ adequately trained staff to accomplish all mandated responsibilities
- Develop an adequate process through which public opinion can be heard and reviewed by commissioners, including a respected and functioning representative port advisory committee
- Make maximum use of technical knowledge, planning, and implement expertise
- Aggressively use the mandated powers to their maximum in order to bring all possible economic and environmental benefit to the district.
- Develop an adequate budget and sound financial base
- Encourage primary, labor-intensive industry which increases the total disposable income to the community.
League to which this content belongs:Coos County