Redistricting Reform: #FairMaps = TAKE ACTION
In 2017 and 2018, bipartisan legislation to end gerrymandering was introduced but did not make it to the floor of the House of Representatives for a vote.
We are hoping that will change this year. This year, there has been a groundswell of support across the nation for redistricting reform, and a poll shows the majority of South Carolinians also support reform. Several bills have been introduced, but we like bipartisan bill H. 3054 the best.
This year will mark the last chance legislators have to end this unfair practice before the 2020 census. Wondering why the census date matters? Watch our Redistricting Explainer above!
What can you do?
1. Call your legislator and say you want redistricting reform. Tell them you want:
- An independent redistricting commission
- Criteria that doesn't protect parties or incumbents
- A subcommittee hearing as soon as possible to move H.3054 forward! An in-person visit or phone call is more effective than an email.
2. Help inform the community about this important but complicated issue. Members from the LWV are happy to attend community meetings and talk about gerrymandering and redistricting reform. Contact Lawson Wetli (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Michelle Byrne (email@example.com) to set up a speaker. And share our Redistricting Explainer with your networks and on social media!
3. Follow the VotersRule2020 blog put out by the League of Women Voters of South Carolina for timely updates and ways to take action!