Empowering Voters, Defending Democracy
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan, political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- When: Saturday, February 9, 2019 from 8 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
- Where: First Presbyterian Church of Knoxville 620 State Street, Knoxville, Tennessee 37902
- Tickets: $10 Registration Fee via Eventbrite
The Academy is designed for all residents of Knox County, particularly rising leaders of any age or organization, and no previous knowledge of school finance is required.
In the morning, local officials and experienced community leaders will share the basics of budgeting, and the roles of the schools and county government. In the afternoon, may choose from classes on subjects such as the state Basic Education Program formula, the school capital plan for buildings or how to work with school board members. The final session will focus on growing the Knox County Schools budget.
Registration is limited to the first 75 participants so register early. Wle will offer a light breakfast and a sandwich lunch and snacks for a registration fee of $10, with scholarships offered upon request. Park all day under the building for free.
For more information, contact Jamey Dobbs (jameydobbs [at] yahoo.com or 865-548-0818) or Lance McCold (text or voice mail at 865-622-0953).
8:00-9:00 Doors open, continental breakfast, networking, visit organization tables
9:00-9:15 Welcome - Linda McCabe, League of Women Voters president and KCS School Board Chair, Terry Hill
9:45–10:30 Knox County Schools Budgeting 101– Joe Snyder, Knox County Schools Finance Director
11:45-12:30 Lunch and Conversation
2019 City of Knoxville Election Schedule
- Monday, March 18, 2019 - First day to pick up a nominating petition from the KCEC office
- Thursday, May 16, 2019 at NOON - Candidate Qualifying Deadline
- Thursday, May 23, 2019 at NOON - Candidate Withdrawal Deadline
- Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - First day to request an absentee ballot
- Monday, July 29, 2019 - Final day to register to vote before election
- Wednesday, August 7, 2019 - First day of Early Voting period
- Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - Final day to request an absentee ballot
- Thursday, August 22, 2019 - Final day of Early Voting period
- Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - Primary Election Day
- Wednesday, August 7, 2019 - First day to request an absentee ballot
- Monday, October 7, 2019 - Final day to register to vote before election
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - First day of Early Voting period
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - Final day to request an absentee ballot
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 - Final day of Early Voting period
- Tuesday, November 5, 2019 - General Election Day
Confirm status of voter registration here.
Online voter registration is here.
Early Voting Locations
- City-County Building - 400 Main Street, 37902
- Love Kitchen - 2418 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., 37915
- Downtown West - 1645 Downtown West, Unit 34, 37919
- New Harvest Park - 4775 New Harvest Lane, 37918
- Meridian Baptist Church - 6513 Chapman Highway, 37920
- North/Merchants Drive - 314 Merchants Drive, Suite G, 37912
- Farragut Town Hall - 11408 Municipal Center Drive, 37934
- Carter Library - 9036 Asheville Highway, 37924
- Halls Recreation Center - 6933 Recreation Lane, 37918
- Karns Senior Center - 8042 Oak Ridge Highway, 37931