It is down to the last three days of the Session. The heavy lifting on most bills is over. But, now, more than ever leaders will pressure Senators to approve the nomination of David Whitley as Secretary of State. PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS ALERT TODAY!!! Your voice is needed to remind each of the Senators committed to continuing to oppose the appointment that we appreciate that and ask that they remain committed until the last minute of the Session.
- We all care about the integrity and fairness of our elections and there are better ways to safeguard our elections than Whitley's now de-legitimized voter roll maintenance scheme targeting new citizens.
- In the Nominations Committee, several of these Senators asked Mr. Whitley directly to recall the measures, yet he did not.
- In the Committee hearing, he demonstrated a lack of knowledge about the process he had initiated. By that time, he definitely knew the action was illegitimate.
- His lack of remedial action, resulted in three lawsuits and a settlement that cost Texas taxpayers nearly half a million dollars and inestimable damage to the trust of newly franchised citizens.
- We cannot trust that Mr. Whitley would put his duties as the chief election official of the state ahead of a narrow partisan agenda that indiscriminately and unjustly targets people of color and naturalized citizens.
- Whitley and the Attorney General have disregarded the U.S. Congressional inquiry about actions taken, advising it will be treated as a public information request.
- Let these Senators know how much we appreciate their defense of the rights of all Texas citizens to participate in our democracy!
The Secretary of State has an incredibly important job as the Chief Election Officer for Texas. That is why this contact is so important to us. The job is to assist county election officials and ensure the uniform application and interpretation of election laws throughout Texas. The position also maintains the security of the statewide voter registration data. We cannot trust Mr. Whitley’s oversight of these tremendously important tasks. The League is taking this unusual action of opposing a nomination because of Mr. Whitley’s actions.