Time Range For Action Alert:March 2, 2019 to May 1, 2019
Protect the right to vote for ALL citizens. Urge your Senator to vote NO on the nomination of David Whitley as Secretary of State.
Whitley created a big mess within a few weeks of starting his new job as Secretary of State.
- We all care about the integrity and fairness of our elections and there are better ways to safeguard our elections than Whitley's now de-legitimized voter roll maintenance scheme, which purposely targeted new citizens. This action is discriminatory and unjustly targets people of color.
- Whitley's scheme led to the nationwide false impression that Texas elections are poorly run and insecure. He is now attempting to put the blame for his bungled voter purge on hardworking county voter registrars and the Department of Public Safety.
- We should all celebrate naturalized citizens who register to vote in our democracy! We should not treat them like criminals by sending them intimidating letters and providing their names to the Attorney General!
Please share this action all across Texas.
The League of Woman Voters never supports or opposes candidates or parties. We do, however, take a stand on issues based on principles or positions. Our mission: Empowering Voters. Defending Democracy. We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge and the confidence to participate.
The Secretary of State has an incredibly important job as the Chief Election Officer for Texas. The job is to assist county election officials and ensure the uniform application and interpretation of election laws throughout Texas.
The League is taking this unusual action of opposing a nomination because Whitley did not rescind the advisory stopping the voter purge of naturalized citizens.
- Texas should encourage the right to vote — and protect voters from intimidation Tribtalk op-ed by Grace Chimene president of the League of Women Voters of Texas.
- The Texas Tribune's comprehensive coverage of Texas voting rights issues