Thank members of the Senate Democratic Caucus for standing firm in support of voting rights and committing to oppose the nomination of David Whitley for Secretary of State.
Whitley created a big mess within a few weeks of starting his new job as Secretary of State.
- We all care about the integrity and fairness of our elections and there are better ways to safeguard our elections than Whitley's now de-legitimized voter roll maintenance scheme, which purposely targeted new citizens. This action is discriminatory and unjustly targets people of color.
- Whitley's scheme led to the nationwide false impression that Texas elections are poorly run and insecure. He is now attempting to put the blame for his bungled voter purge on hardworking county voter registrars and the Department of Public Safety.
- We should all celebrate naturalized citizens who register to vote in our democracy! We should not treat them like criminals by sending them intimidating letters and providing their names to the Attorney General!
- Texas should encourage the right to vote — and protect voters from intimidation Tribtalk op-ed by Grace Chimene president of the League of Women Voters of Texas.
- Texas Tribune article: These naturalized citizens belong on the Texas voter rolls. A state review could have kicked them off.