Alissa Sughrue (Austin Area) Behavioral Health Issue Chair
Coalitions & Resources
- Health and Wellness, Center for Public Policy Priorities Access to quality, affordable health care for all is at the core of our mission. We work to protect and improve access to quality public and private insurance, mental health care, and basic health needs for all Texans.
- Suicide Prevention
- Educate yourself about the warning signs for suicide
- Know how to refer someone at risk for help. Use the Texas Suicide Prevention Toolkit to find answers!Put the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number in your cell phone: 1-800- 273-8255.
- Your county community mental health center provides suicide crisis services and has a 24/7 crisis hotline. Find your County Men
- Behavioral Health can be improved by changes in behavior. This term is more positive it indicates that adverse behaviors can be changed for more healthful behaviors. Behavioral health promotes the well being of the individual through the intervention and prevention of incidents of mental illness and/or substance abuse.
- Mental health is the psychological state of a person who holistically functions at a satisfactory level. In conditions of mental illness, the outcome is not usually changed by changing behavior, but rather by use of medications. Improving the mental illness of an individual may involve not only the use of medications and therapies but also changes in inappropriate or self-destructive behaviors of the individual. Mental illness is usually detected and/or diagnosed by the unsatisfactory behaviors of the individual.
The League of Women Voters of Texas supports the right of all persons who have behavioral health disorders to have access to services designed to help them reach and maintain an optimal level of functioning in the least restrictive environment.