NEWS FLASH -- We have added a student discounted rate for Lobby Days! Students can attend for $10.00.
“Bigger, Better Lobby Days” will be Feb. 4-5, 2019 in Austin. A new larger venue for lodging at the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake, training, free parking, and shuttle to the Capital. We will all fit in the training room! Save the dates!
Make plans to go to Austin and meet your State Senators and Representatives.
Join League members from around the state on Monday, Feb 4th to learn about our priority issues. On Tuesday, Feb 5th, 2019 go to the Capitol to advocate for issues important to the League. Making a visit to a legislator’s office in the Texas Capitol can have a great influence on how leaders think about issues. A legislative visit is an opportunity for you to supply our leaders with valuable info information. The willingness to make a visit to a legislative office tells leaders how important League issues are to you and your community.
Where: Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake, 20 N. IH 35. For discounted hotel rate of $139/night, click on Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake or call 1-888-615-0509. Code: LWV.
Lobby Days Schedule
Monday, Feb. 4:
12:00 pm Check in
1:00 Lobby Days Advocacy Training
- Cinde Weatherby, Voting Rights & Election Law Issue Chair, League of Women Voters of Texas. Will speak on LWVTX priority issue: "Voting Rights & Election Law." Weatherby is responsible for representing LWVUS and LWVTX positions before the Texas Legislature and for collaborating with state and national organizations to achieve common goals to ensure eligible Texans are able to vote in a secure voting system. Cinde brought extensive legislative and advocacy experience in the transportation field when she assumed issue leadership in 2015. She received a BA in Journalism/Political Science from Texas Tech University and an MA in Urban Studies/Transportation from UT Arlington’s Institute of Urban Studies.
- Bob Popinski, Director of Policy, Raise Your Hand Texas. Will speak on the LWVTX priority issue: "Financing Public Education in Texas". An expert on the Texas school finance system, Popinski provided Moak Casey with in-depth bill and policy analysis during the past seven legislative sessions and throughout the state’s two most recent school finance court cases. He specialized in helping districts interested in entering economic development agreements and has authored detailed studies on Texas’ fast growth school districts, tax appraisal limits, and its state school transportation funding system.
- Evelyn Delgado, President, Healthy Futures of Texas and Chair of the Texas Women’s Healthcare Coalition. Will speak on LWVTX priority issue: "Women’s Health in Texas." Delgado has extensive experience as a senior-level executive leader in public health at the Texas Department of State Health Services, including overseeing women’s and children’s health programs. With over 20 years of public service, Delgado served in leadership roles on numerous quality improvement task forces, including the Executive Committee of the Texas Collaborative for Healthy Mothers and Babies, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Network of Perinatal Quality Collaboratives, Texas Medical Association Committee on Reproductive, Women’s and Perinatal Health, and the Council on Children and Families. Delgado was also appointed to the National Advisory Council on Maternal, Infant and Fetal Nutrition by the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, and on the National Campaign for the Prevention of Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a state and local action advisory group.
4:00 LWVTX Conference. Delegates to consider and vote on an update to the current Criminal Justice position. All members are welcome!
5:00 Janet Imhoff, VP and Advocacy Chair - League Advocacy & Lobbying
6:30-9:00 Join us and help support the mission of the League at the Making Democracy Work Dinner!
Victoria M DeFrancesco Soto, Ph.D. will speak on "The Power of Women" Voting, Policy, and Politics in Texas for this years Making Democracy Work dinner. Dr. Soto is a lecturer at The University of Texas’ LBJ School of Public Affairs, where she was selected as one of UT’s Game Changers.
Dr. Soto is a contributor to MSNBC and NBCNews.com, as well as a regular political analyst for Telemundo. She has provided on-air analysis for CNN, Fox, PBS, Univision and NPR, and has appeared on HBO’s "Real Time with Bill Maher." Most recently, Victoria was a featured expert in the PBS documentary "Willie Velasquez: Your Vote is Your Voice," about the civil rights trailblazer.
Tuesday, Feb. 5th
9:00 am Gather at the Capitol to visit with legislators and discuss League priority issues. Please use the Legislative visit 2019 form to help us keep track of advocacy.
Please fill out the Legislative visit 2019 form every time you visit your statewide elected officials. This will help us improve our advocacy
- Priority Issue Brochure 2019
- We Support Brochure 2019
- Effective Advocacy/Voting Rights handout 2019
- Voting Rights and Election Laws 2019
- Financing Public Education 2019
- Reproductive Choice 2019
- Women's Healthcare Safety Net 2019
- Redistricting/Census Action Paper 2019