Voting Rights and Election Law
LWVTX's 86th Legislative Session Priorities
The right of every Texas citizen to vote and participate directly in democracy
- Impartial treatment of all voters.
- Maximum use of uniform election dates.
- Efficient shared polling locations.
- Convenient and accessible ballot by mail with proper safeguards.
The integrity of a safe, secure and accurate voter registration system
- Vigilant modernization and security of registration processes.
- Direct voter registration for convenience, security and cost.
- Enforcement of statewide technological safeguards & cybersecurity standards.
- Required cybersecurity training for county election officials.
- Statewide standards for county end-user equipment.
Elections resulting in honest and accurate results
- Transition to voting equipment renewal and required paper-trail for post- election audits.
- Mandatory uniform training for election workers.
- Assure enforcement of election laws.
Online Voter Registration – a proven 21st century system.
- Takes advantage of improved Texas statewide registration system.
- Maximizes voter registration integrity.
- Offers accuracy more than five times better than transcribed paper forms.
- Significantly reduces county transcription & state printing costs.
Encourage renewal of county election equipment and standards.
- Incentivize conversion to reliable safe and secure equipment.
- Ensure county election officials compliance with election standards.
Improve accessibility to ballot-by-mail program and assure its integrity.
- Redesign forms for clarity and compliance.
- Adjust time period and mechanisms for requesting ballots by mail.
Download the LWVTX priorities for the 86th Legislative Session here.