Co Chairs for Immigration:
- Gloria Saurez Sasser
- Carol Wallace
Updates by Gloria Suarez Sasser Immigration Issue Chair (gloriassasser [at] gmail.com)
- Immigration SB 4 (3.15.17)
- SB 4 State Affairs Sanctuary City Testimony (2/2/17)
- Action Alert Immigration Sanctuary Cities (2.10.17)
Coalitions and Resources
- League of the United Latin American Coalition (LULAC) The Mission of the League of United Latin American Citizens is to advance the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, housing, health and civil rights of the Hispanic population of the United States.
- MALDEF Founded in 1968, MALDEF is the nation's leading Latino legal civil rights organization. Often described as the "law firm of the Latino community", MALDEF promotes social change through advocacy, communications, community education, and litigation in the areas of education, employment, immigrant rights, and political access.
- Reform Immigration for Texas (RITA) The Reform Immigration for Texas Alliance (RITA) is a multi-sector statewide network dedicated to building support for comprehensive immigration reform.
- Women in Texas History:"Tejanas and Civil RightsTejanas also worked to increase voting. Ladies LULAC Council 9 in El Paso rallied their fellow citizens to pay their poll taxes, collecting over 4,300 receipts. This campaign contributed to the election of Raymond Telles as mayor in 1957.
Immigration policies should promote reunification of immediate families; meet the economic, business and employment needs of the United States; and be responsive to those facing political persecution or humanitarian crises; and provide for student visas. Ensure fair treatment under the law for all persons. In transition to a reformed system, support provisions for unauthorized immigrants already in the country to earn legal status.