Education is a top priority issue for the League of Women Voters of Texas. The League of Women Voters of Texas takes actions and advocates league positions on education Issues based upon grass roots consensus at local, state, and national levels.
Updates by Diann Andy (San Antonio, TX) Public Education
2017 Special SessionTestimony
- Public Education HB 98 Mentor Program (7.24.17)
- Public Education SJR 1, Lottery (7.23.17)
- Public Education SB 97, Lottery (7.23.17)
- Public Education - Voucher Bill SB 2 (7.21.17)
- Public Education CSSB 1278 (5.18.17)
- Public Education HB 1485 (5.2.17)
- Public Education SB 3 (3.21.17)
Coalitions and Resources
- Coalition for Public Schools The Coalition for Public Schools stands strong in our efforts to ensure that ALL Texas children receive the opportunity for a quality, public education.
- Texas Cares for Children Texas Cares for Children provides education and advocacy concerning child protective services; juvenile justice; mental wellness; health and fitness; and early childhood education and opportunities.
- Center for Public Policy Priorities At the Center for Public Policy Priorities, we believe in a Texas that offers everyone the chance to compete and succeed in life. We envision a Texas where everyone is healthy, well-educated, and financially secure. We want the best Texas - a proud state that sets the bar nationally by expanding opportunity for all.
- Children's Defense Fund The Children's Defense Fund Leave No Child Behind® mission is to ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities.
- Raise Your Hands Texas Raise Your Hand Texas is a non-profit education advocacy organization working to strengthen public education in Texas. We train public school leaders to lead transformational change at the campus level, and advocate for public policies that make public schools better for all Texas students.
- The Texas Education Agency The State Board of Education (SBOE) sets policies and standards for Texas public schools.
- The Texas Parent Teacher Association PTA To make every child's potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
- School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) Compiled by the SHAC, the Resources section provides the most authoritative information, best practices, technical support, references, research and legislative outcomes currently available to support school leaders in their efforts to promote and practice health education and health services within the school setting.
- Texas Association of School Boards Created in 1949, the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) is a voluntary, nonprofit, statewide educational association that serves and represents local Texas school districts.
- Texas Forward We're a coalition of organizations that believes Texans deserve strong, safe, and healthy communities, and the opportunity to realize their full potential.
- Texas Freedom Network Founded in 1995, the Texas Freedom Network is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization of more than 100,000 religious and community leaders. Based in Austin, the Texas Freedom Network acts as the state's watchdog, monitoring far-right issues, organizations, money and leaders. The organization has been instrumental in defeating initiatives backed by the religious right in Texas, including private school vouchers and textbook censorship at the Texas State Board of Education.
- National Center for Science Education NCSE defends the integrity of science education against ideological interference. We work with teachers, parents, scientists, and concerned citizens at the local, state, and national levels to ensure that topics including evolution and climate change are taught accurately, honestly, and confidently.
- Texas Tribune; Trib + Education Trib+Edu is a newsletter published every two weeks by The Texas Tribune and the College of Education at The University of Texas at Austin. Trib+Edu includes the top news, events, research, data and other features on public education in Texas, as well as relevant issues across the region and nation.
- Student Health Advisory Council of Texas The Texas School Health Advisory Committee (TSHAC) provides active leadership in the identification and dissemination of school health best practices and resources for school policy makers. For weekly updates on school health, sign up for the "Friday Beat".
- Texas Association of Rural Schools Advocates for Fair Funding for Rural Schools
Acronyms: What Does That Mean?
- 84th Legislature of Texas: Previous (2015) legislative session
- 85th Legislature of Texas: Current (2017) legislative session
- ACT American College Testing: Used by some colleges and universities in their admissions decisions
- EOC End of Course: Exams used to determine student proficiency in certain high school academic courses
- ESSA Every Student Succeeds Act: Federal law governing minimum requirements for schools. Takes in the effect 2017-18 school year.
- GPCs Grade Placement Committees: Uses various factors to determine whether a student who has failed one or more STAAR exams may successfully advance to the next grade level.
- HB House Bill: A bill that originated in the Texas House
- IGCs Individual Graduation Committees: Uses various factors to determine whether a student who has failed one or two EOC exams may earn a high school diploma.
- SAT Scholastic Achievement Test: Used by some colleges and universities in their admissions decisions
- SB Senate Bill: A bill that originated in the Texas Senate
- STAAR State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness: Exams used to determine student proficiency in certain academic courses
- TCNGAA Texas Commission on Next-Generation Assessments and Accountability: Commission charged by the 84th legislature (HB 2804) to develop and make recommendations for new systems of student assessment and public school accountability.
- TEA Texas Education Agency: Implements state education law
- TEC Texas Education Code: Laws and rules governing public education (including use of funds) in Texas
- TEKS Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills: The state's academic standards