Britin Bostick (Austin) Issue Chair
Coalitions and Resources
- Texas Sunset Report on the Texas Department of Transportation
- Legislative Budget Board; Overview of Major Transportation Funding Actions by the 84th Legislature and Selected Alternative Funding Options (2015)
- Highway Development in Texas, by the Texas State Historical Association
- Texas Department of Transportation
- Association of Texas Metropolitan Planning Organizations
As of 2013, TxDOT maintains 80,268 centerline miles (miles traveled in a one-way direction regardless of the number of lanes in a roadway).
|State-maintained centerline miles:|
|State highways, Spurs, Loops, Business Rtes||16,411|
|Farm or Ranch to Market roads and Spurs||40,932|
|Pass, Park and Recreation Roads||345|
The total number of lane miles (miles per lane of roadway) in Texas is 195,022.
TxDOT maintains 615 picnic areas (areas that include picnic tables), and 92 rest areas including Travel Information Centers (areas that include restroom facilities and picnic tables).
While only 25.6 percent of roadways in Texas are state-maintained, 73.8 percent of all VMT occurs on state-maintained highways.
|Average Annual VMT|
|VMT on state-maintained highways||175.3B|
|VMT all state roadways||237.3B|
|Average Daily VMT|
|VMT on state-maintained highways||480M|
|VMT all state roadways||649.8M|
(retrieved from Texas Department of Transportation )
- TxDOT = Texas Department of Transportation
- VMT = Vehicle Miles Traveled