Updates by Louise Hytken (Dallas), LWV Issue Chair for Women’s Health and Reproductive Choice
LWVUS Position: The League of Women Voters of the United States believes that public policy in a pluralistic society must affirm the constitutional right of privacy of the individual to make reproductive choices.
- Fetal Remails Rule Burdens Women (11/16)
- Fetal Remains Rule has Strong Opposition not only from the Reproductive Rights Community but also from Medical Professionals and Funeral Directors.(10/16)
- Wrap up 84th Legislative Session (7/3/15)
- The Supreme Court decision in Whole Women's Health (and the fallout from the decision) (7/6/16)
- LWV-TX celebrated the US Supreme Court decision that declared unconstitutional two harmful provisions of the restrictive Texas abortion law (HB 2) enacted in 2013 (8/19/16)
2017 Special Session
- Women's Health HB 214 Coverage for Abortions 7.26.17
- Take Action on Four Dangerous Women's Health Bills 7.23.17
- Women's Health and Reproductive Choice - Anti Abortion Bill SB 8 7.22.17
2017 Legislative Session
- Women's Health HB 1113 (5.3.17)
- Women's Health HB 434 (4.5.17)
- Women's Health HB 200 (3.22.17)
- Women's Health HB 35 (3.8.17)
- Women's Health SB 20 (2.28.17)
- Women's Health SB 25 (2.27.17)
- Women's Health SB 258 (2.15.17)
- Women's Health SB 415 (2.15.17)
- Women's Health SB 8 (2.15.17)
Coalitions and Resources
- Texas Woman's Health Care Coalition A coalition of organizations promoting access to preventive healthcare for all Texas women. TWHC is working toward the vision of a state where every woman has access to the preventive and preconception care that will help her stay healthy and prepare for healthy, planned pregnancies.
- Janes Due Process The organization's mission is to ensure legal representation for pregnant minors in Texas.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Texas Mission is to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every Texan the right to make personal reproductive health decisions and to guarantee access to the full range of options, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and accessing legal abortion.
- Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas Creates healthier communities by providing comprehensive reproductive and related healthcare services, delivering science-based education programs and serving as a strong advocate for reproductive justice in Texas.
- Texas Freedom Network Founded in 1995, the Texas Freedom Network is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization of more than 100,000 religious and community leaders. Based in Austin, the Texas Freedom Network acts as the state's watchdog, monitoring far-right issues, organizations, money and leaders. The organization has been instrumental in defeating initiatives backed by the religious right in Texas, including private school vouchers and textbook censorship at the Texas State Board of Education.
- Healthy Futures of Texas Mission is to reduce teen and unplanned pregnancy in San Antonio and Texas.
The League of Women Voters of the United States believes that public policy in a pluralistic society must affirm the constitutional right of privacy of the individual to make reproductive choices.
In order to prevent or reduce poverty, the LWVUS supports policies and programs designed to decrease teen pregnancy
The LWVUS believes that access to health care includes the following: health and sex education programs