How Does The League Select Issues for Emphasis?
In League, Program means the issues that we choose for concerted study, education and action at local, state and national levels. Program can include both education and action.
The Program Planning process is part of what makes the League a grassroots organization; each League member has the opportunity to influence the selection of issues where the local, state, and national League will focus time, talent and money.
Every two years, members of local Leagues engage in Program Planning. Based on the results of this, the Board of Directors makes recommendations to the biennial convention delegates about the program to be adopted for the coming two year period.
2023 Issues Briefing
Morning Plenary: Defending Democracy: Threats to Elections
Morning Breakout Sessions:
- Racism in Our Schools
- Carbon Capture and Sequestration: What is it and why should we be concerned?
- Transforming Juvenile Justice: Good outcomes for all with Illinois leading the way
Afternoon Breakout Sessions:
- Good Intentions vs. Good Laws: Why Housing Advocacy Matters
- Gun Violence as a Public Health Issue
- What’s Next for Reproductive Rights in Illinois?
Empowering Voters: How to Get a Grassroots Bill Passed