Books Read in the Last Year
- Michele Richardson, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
- Gail Collins, No Stopping Us Now: a History of Older Women in America
- Sandy and Larry Feldman, Building Bridges Across the Racial Divide
- Alex Kotlowitz, The Other Side of the River
- John Lewis, Across That Bridge
- Alan Alda, If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?
- Sarah Holland and Beth Silvers, I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening)
- James Hoggan, I'm Right and You're an Idiot: The Toxic State of Public Discourse and How to Clean It Up
- Ben Sasse, THEM: Why We Hate Each Other--And How to Heal
- Claude Steele, Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do
- Rebecca Traister, Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger
- Michelle Obama, Becoming
- John Meacham, The Soul of America
- Dan Egan, The Death and Life of the Great Lakes
- Elaine Weiss, The Woman’s Hour
- Sam Quinones, Dreamland
- Michael Bloomberg & Carl Pope, Climate of Hope
- Arlie Russell Hochschild, Strangers in Their Own Land
- David Sales & Ghada Alatrash, Stripped to the Bone: Portraits of Syrian Women
- Geoffrey Stone, Sex and the Constitution
- Azar Natisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran
Please put the date on your calendar now and then, by at least Thursday August 8, either text (773-612-7411) or emelieshroder [at] comcast.net (email Emelie) to let her know you plan to attend.
- Alda, Alan. If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? Random House, 2017.
- Holland, Sarah & Beth Silvers. I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening) A Guide to Grace-Filled Political Conversations. Thomas Nelson, 2019.
- Hoggan, James. I'm Right and You're an Idiot: The Toxic State of Public Discourse and How to Clean It Up. New Society Publishers, 2016.
- Sasse, Ben. THEM Why We Hate Each Other - And How to Heal. Martin's Press. 2018.
- Steele, Claude. Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do. W.W. Norton, 2010.
- Traister, Rebecca. Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger. Simon & Schuster, 2018.
Occasionally the members are encouraged to select any book they wish in a subject area, so those individual selections are not listed.
"Climate of Hope" by Michael Bloomberg and Carl Pope
"Strangers in Their Own Land" by Arlie Russell Hochschild.
"Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic."by Sam Quinones
"This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate" by Naomi Klein.
"George Washington's Secret Six" by Kilmeade and Yaeger
"Hamilton - The Revolution by Miranda and McCarter
"Alexander Hamilton" by Chernow
"Dark Money" by Mayer
"Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS" by Warrick
"ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror" by Weiss and Hassan
"ISIS: The State of Terror" by Stern and Berger.
Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsberg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda Hirshman
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsberg by Irin Carmona and Shana Knizhnik
"Three Billion New Capitalists: the Great Shift of Wealth and Power to the East" by Clyde Prestowicz.
"Critical Condition How Health Care in America Became Big Business and Bad Medicine" by Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele
"Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized by People who Think You're Stupid" by Joe Klein
"The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright. Won 2006 Pulitzer Prize for non-fiction.
"Deep Economy" by Bill McKibben
"The Appeal" by John Grisham About judicial elections.
"In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" by Michael Pollan
"The Post American World" by Fareed Zakaria
"The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America" by Jonathan Kozol
"Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture" by Ellen Rupell Shell
"Engaging the Muslim World" by Juan Cole
"The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court" by Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong
"Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court" by Jan Crawford Greenburg
"Citizen: Jane Addams and the Struggle for Democracy" by Louise W. Knight
"Jane Addams: Spirit in Action" by Louise W. Knight
"Twenty Years at Hull House" by Jane Addams
"Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future" by Robert Reich
"The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equality Will Determine Our Future" by Linda Hammond-Darling
"Reclaiming Public Education by Reclaiming Our Democracy" by David Mathews
"The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choices Are Undermining Education" by Diane Ravitch
"Why School? Reclaiming Education for All of Us" by Mike Rose
"What is Good for General Motors? Solving America's Industrial Conundrum" by Thomas Crumm
"Confidence Men" by Ron Suskind
"Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson
"Republic Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress--and a Plan to Stop It" by Lawrence Lessig
"Drift: the Unmooring of American Military Power" by Rachel Maddow
"My Beloved World" by Sonia Sotomayor
"Catastrophic Health Care: How American Health Care Killed My Father and How We Can Fix It" by David Goldhill.
"County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago's Public Hospital" by David Ansell M.D.
"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot
"The World According to Monsanto: Pollution, Corruption, and the Control of the World's Food Supply" by Marie-Monique Robin
"Foodopoly: the Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America" by Wenonah Hauter
"Food, Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food Is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer--and What We Can Do About It" by Karl Weber
"Reign of Error" by Diane Ravitch
"Surpassing Shanghai: An Agenda for American Education Built on the World's Leading Systems" by Marc Tucker and Linda Darling Hammond.
"I am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban" by Yousafzai, Malala and Lamb, Christina (Oct 8, 2013)
"Six Amendments: How and Why We Should Change the Constitution" by Justice John Paul Stevens.
"On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City" by Alice Goffman.
"Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights" by Katha Pollitt
Steven Brill " America's Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Backroom Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System" 2015
Atul Gwande "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End " 2014.