Dear League members,
On behalf of the League of Women Voters of South Hampton Roads, we thank you for your work in “Empowering Voters and Defending Democracy.” Thanks to all of you who helped register voters and encourage voting. The turnout for the off-off-year election was so much greater than projected that some precincts required delivery of additional printed ballots.
We just elected the state legislators who will consider the state constitutional amendment to establish fair redistricting. If this General Assembly passes the proposed amendment during the upcoming session, we will have the opportunity to vote for fair redistricting in the November 3, 2020, Presidential election. Your support is crucial. Together we can make a difference.
In addition, your support now, at the end of this year, will enable our local League to plan for community celebrations for our 100th Anniversary and the 100th Anniversary of the ratification of the Constitutional Amendment granting women the right to vote. You’ll be joining other League members throughout the nation who will be commemorating these two milestones. We also are partnering with the Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast to host VOTE FEST on May 16 in the Centennial year.
In recognition of the 100th Anniversaries, we’re suggesting a $100 gift, or more, as your first step in the year-long commemorations.
Plus, your year-end support now will help our League continue with our ongoing programs in 2020:
• Monthly programs presenting three different choices: breakfast, lunch or Saturday morning unit meetings, or all three! Topics include: Election Results, Gun Safety, Medicaid Expansion, Violence Against Women, Feminism-Womanism-Civil Rights, Freedom of the Press, Gerrymandering, Immigration, Human Trafficking.
• Meetings with Virginia Legislators for one-on-one questions and answers about important topics like redistricting, transportation and the ERA-YES, the time is NOW!
• Participation at statewide League Legislative Day and weekly Roundtable in Richmond addressing issues that affect Hampton Roads, like sea level rise and election security.
• An annual meeting with keynote speakers like this year’s Ann C. Phillips, Special Assistant to the Governor for Coastal Adaption and Protection, and a special guest appearance with Virginia’s First Lady, Pam Northam.
• Voter registrations and third-party training and certifications throughout South Hampton Roads – the core of our mission.
• Vote411.org online question and answer format for candidates in Hampton Roads elections. Our League received the highest accolades from the State League office!
To all League members:
Thank you for helping in “Empowering Voters and Defending Democracy.” The work is as important now,
or even more important, than it was 100 years ago when he League was founded and the 19th Amendment to
the Constitution was ratified.