From the League
Voter Resources – California
- LA Vote Election Information (http://www.lavote.net) – County voter registration, election returns, locate districts by voting address
- Find your California Legislator (http://www.legislature.ca.gov/) – State Senate and Assembly reps by address
- GovTrack (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/CA) – California district maps for US Representatives and their track records.
- LegInfo (http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billSearchClient.xhtml) – Introduced bills in the California Legislature and a Public Access guide
- CA Secretary of State (http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/) – California Elections and Voter Information, fraud unit
- CA Voter Foundation (http://www.calvoter.org/) – improve the California election process
- Cal-Access The Secretary of State (http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/) provides financial information supplied by state candidates, donors, lobbyists, and others. Searchable database is here (http://dbsearch.sos.ca.gov/ContributorSearch.aspx) Only electronically-reported, state-level, campaign contribution data is provided through Power Search (http://powersearch.sos.ca.gov/)
- Open California Capitol Weekly (http://capitolweekly.net/about-us/open-california/) – provides a platform for engagement with public officials, advocates and political interests
- California Election Dates (http://elections.mytimetovote.com/dates/california.html) – schedule of local, state and federal elections in California
- CA Budget Project (http://www.cbp.org/) – independent fiscal and policy analysis in Sacramento
- Legislative Analysts Office (http://www.lao.ca.gov/laoapp/main.aspx) – oversight of the California Legislative budget
- MapLight (http://maplight.org/california) – follow the money by district in California
- CA Fair Political Practices Commission (http://fpcc.ca.gov/) – elected officials’ form 700 filings, voter information for elections. Search page is here.
- CALmatters Alignment Score (https://calmatters.org/articles/explore-relationship-votes-money-influence-tool/) – How Often Legislators Vote with Interest Groups
- CapitolTrack (http://capitoltrack.com/) track pass/fail status of bills and their funding in the California Legislature (subscription model with free trial)
- CA Grid (State of California) – follow the money by candidate in California
- Judge Voter Guide (http://www.judgevoterguide.com/) – judicial voter selection in California
- LA Co Public Library (http://www.colapublib.org/citizenship/citizen.php) – Citizenship – U.S. Pathways for new Americans
Voter Resources – National
- Library of Congress (https://www.congress.gov/) – look up legislation in US Congress, Congressional record. Also links to the Copyright Office
- (replacing the nearly 20-year-old THOMAS.gov – more info here)
- Campaign Finance Institute (http://www.cfinst.org/) – nonpartisan thinktank for money in politics, state and national levels
- Follow the Money (http://www.followthemoney.org/) national database for candidates, lobbyists, party committees and contributors
- Open Congress (http://www.opencongress.org/) – run by the Sunlight Foundation (requires registration). Follow legislation in the US Congress
- Sunlight Foundation (http://sunlightfoundation.com/about/) – real-time, online transparency for all government information and the political money flow
- Ballotpedia (https://ballotpedia.org/Main_Page) – Nonpartisan wiki encyclopedia of American politics: covers local, state and federal politics, political issues and public policy, elections and candidates
- On the Issues (http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm) – Every political leader on every issue – sourced fact check on major political issues and politician statements.
- Common Cause (http://www.commoncause.org) – serves as an independent voice for change and a watchdog against corruption and abuse of power.
- Open Secrets (http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/index.php) – fundraising at all levels from the Center for Responsive Politics
- Federal Election Commission (http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/disclosure_data_search.shtml) – comprehensive campaign disclosure database
- GovTrackUS (http://www.govtrack.us) – US Congressional bills, voting records and committees for individual representatives.
- InsideGov (http://www.insidegov.com/) – US Congressional campaign finance, legislation, government spending, law and tax issues.
- Voter Information Services (http://www.vis.org/) – Congressional report cards
- Project Vote Smart (http://votesmart.org/) – elections, government officials and issues
- Politifact (http://www.politifact.com/) – Pulitzer prize-winning fact-checking project
- Fact Check (http://www.factcheck.org/) – monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players
- Media Bias Fact Check (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/) – Rates media sources on their policy emphasis
- Flack Check (http://www.flackcheck.org/) – Recognize flaws, deception and incivility in arguments in general, and political ads in particular.
- Regulations.gov (http://www.regulations.gov) – Submit public comments on proposed regulations and related documents published by the U.S. Federal government. Site search and review original regulatory documents as well as comments submitted by others.