The League of Women Voters Leelanau County supports preserving, protecting and enhancing environmental quality through evaluation of local and regional policies and programs. The League will review and comment, when appropriate, on projects and activities in the county.
June 24, 2013: The LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS LEELANAU COUNTY adopted The Natural Resources Position Statement.
The League supports:
- Water Resources: Protection of Great Lakes, inland lakes, streams, rivers and wetlands through programs and policies that reflect the interrelationships of water quality, water quantity, both ground and surface water an that address the potential depletion or pollution of water supplies.
- Energy Solutions: Environmental policies and programs that reduce energy growth, emphasize energy conservation and efficiency, and encourage the use of renewable resources.
- Waste Management: Policies that promote reuse and recycling of solid and hazardous wastes, and environmentally sound disposal methods that protect public air, health, water, and land resources.
- Land Use: Managing land as a finite resource through comprehensivelong-range planning, and policies and program s that will improve air and water quality by proper use of land and water resources.
- Air Quality: Policies and programs that measure, regulate, and reduce air pollution from vehicular and stationary sources.
The League believes local governments should:
- Promote environmentally sound practices.
- Inform their citizens about developments in natural resource planning and communicate local concerns to the regional planners.
- Provide greater transparency in natural resource decision making by:
- effective noticing,
- use of open meetings, workshops, and community outreach,
- extensive use of communications technologies.