Register to Vote, Absentee Ballots, Voter Guide and Candidate Forums
As Americans, it is our civic duty to vote and engage in our political process. The people we choose to represent us will have an enormous impact on our lives.
Register to Vote
- The deadline to register to vote by mail for the 2020 General Election is 5 p.m. on October 6.
- The deadline to register to vote online at NMVote.org is 11:59 p.m. on October 6.
- In-Person Same Day Voter Registration at the County Clerk’s Office will be available October 6 through Oct 16, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Oct. 17 through Oct 31, Monday – Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
November 3, 2020 GENERAL ELECTION
Looking for information about voter registration, voting, propositions and candidate statements? Get the facts Los Alamos, before the November 3, 2020 General Election. Look for the Voter's Guide at your home in the Los Alamos Daily Post on October 1, 2020. Or download a pdf version of the: Los Alamos Voter Guide for the 2020 General Election.
Also look for candidate information on the Vote411. Enter your address in the Vote411.org widget which is in the left-hand panel of this webpage or visit Vote411.org. NOTE: The voter guide questions have been sent to all candidates. The LWVLA Board voted to publish responses in the printed voter guide from unopposed candidates as well as those
The LWV will hold two candidate forums via Zoom:
- October 1: First Candidate Forum, Zoom, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- October 5: Second Candidate Forum, Zoom, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
These forums will be recorded and made available on our website and YouTube channel.
Because of COVID-19, citizens are wise to vote by absentee ballot rather than in person.
- Voters may request an absentee ballot online at NMVote.org.
- Applications for an absentee ballot will be mailed to all registered voters in the county on September 14. (Only 10 counties are participating in this effort.)
- No ballots will be mailed unless a request has been received by the county clerk.
- All requests for an absentee ballot must be received in the county clerk’s office by October 20.
- Helpful information from the Los Alamos County Clerk for filling out your Application for Absent/Early Voter Ballot
- Ballots must be mailed to the county clerk by October 27 to be assured of arriving by 7 p.m. on November 3.
- The mailed ballots will carry an intelligent mail bar code so they can be tracked from the time they are mailed by the county clerk until they are returned to the county clerk’s office.
- The name, signature and the last four digits of the voter’s social security number must be written on the outer envelope for the ballot to be accepted.
- The ballot may be returned to a ballot drop box or polling place by the voter, the voter’s caretaker, or a member of the voter’s immediate family.
- Voters may choose to vote in person during Early Voting or on Election Day.
- Early Voting will be available at the Los Alamos County Municipal Building beginning October 6, as well as the White Rock Town Hall beginning October 17.
- Early Voting ends October 31.
- On Election Day, Tuesday, November 3, eligible voters may vote at any of the following Vote Centers: Los Alamos County Municipal Building, White Rock Town Hall and the Los Alamos County Golf Course.
For additional information on anything related to the 2020 General Election in Los Alamos County, call the Clerk’s Office at (505) 662-8010. Check for updates on the Los Alamos County Clerk Election Information webpage.