Reminiscing about Candidate Forums following Voter Service Director Rose Kelley's Departure. Butte County benefited greatly from her efforts and LWVBC wishes her well in South Dakota.
May 9: League Members Working at Forum
May 9: Butte County Supervisors, District 2 and 3
May 9: Butte County Assessor Forum
April 30: U.S. Representative District 1, Forum
March 14: Sunshine Week Public Informational Forum
- David Little, Editor of Chico Enterprise Record and the Oroville Mercury Register
- Mark Plenke, CSUC Journalism Professor and Orion Advisor
- Tim Crews, Owner and Editor of Valley Mirror
- Robert Speer, prior CN&R Editor and Journalist
TOPIC: Transparency in government; what are we really seeing? What is the Freedom of Information Act?
WHAT: March 11 to 17 is the American Society of News Editors and Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press's sponsored Sunshine Week that celebrates a free press. In furtherance of its public service mission, the League of Women Voters of Butte County is offering its Spring Lunch and Learn to the public at large to recognize and promote the importance of a free press in our community. Supporting reporting: use it or lose it.
February 17: Training - Communicate Effectively with Legislators
At the end of a successful afternoon of presentation and hands-on learning smart phone aps and other techniques to let their legislators hear their voices, San Jose AAUW's public policy chair and our speaker, Peg Carlson-Bowen (center), is surrounded by our local AAUW-LWVBC workshop support team. Carol Holzgrafe, Debra Barger, Helen Gesick, Marcelene Brown, Katy Azevedo and Jane Wanderer.
January 30: Emergency Preparedness
The League of Women Voters of Butte County invites citizens and representatives of organizations to an informational forum on being prepared for a catastrophic emergency or evacuation in Chico similar to the 2017 Santa Rosa Fire Evacuation and the Oroville Evacuation.
The event will be in the Fellowship Hall of the First Baptist Church, 850 Palmetto in Chico on Tuesday, January 30 at 7:00pm. A potluck dinner will be available at 6:00.
Each of the panelists will discuss their agency or department role during an emergency or disaster. The four panelists who will address the public:
- Lt. James Bell, Butte County Sheriff's office
- Capt. Aaron Lowe, Chico Fire Department
- Cindi Dunsmoor, Butte County Emergency Service Manager
- Bob Kiuttu, Enloe Hospital's Emergency Preparedness Manager
Topics will include:
- What citizens can do to prepare for evacuation or a disaster
- How the public will be made aware of the scope of the emergency
- How citizens may help with an evacuation
- What to take to a shelter
- What is needed to shelter in place
- What to do if separated from family members
- Physical items to have prepared in case of evacuations (important documents, personal items, medications, etc.)
January 20: Women's March - Chico
November 4: A Collaborative Training - What Kind of Talk Does Democracy Need?
Making a commitment to be part of the solution, community and League members, in collaboration with the Office of Civic Engagement at CSU, Chico, gathered to conduct civil, community-building conversations. Discussion was facilitated by Martha Cox, First Vice President of the League of Women Voters of California Education Fund.
October 26: Government Appointees Panel
September 26: National Voter Registration Day
League of Women Voters of Butte County members Linda MacMichael and Mahalley Allen share information on registration and voting with an interested Chico State student.
September 16: The Economic Impacts of the Oroville Dam, Past-Present-Future
The League of Women Voters of Butte County invites Butte County citizens and organizations to an informational forum on the intent, design, building, maintenance, safety, management, licensing, recreation, and business importance of the Oroville Dam.
Southside Oroville Community Center
2959 Lower Wyandotte Road
Matt Murray, Department of Water Resources View Mr. Murray's Presentation
Brian Ring, BC Assistant Chief Administrator View Mr. Ring's Presentation
Sandy Linville, Oroville Strong!
Robert Bateman, Roplast Industries
Paul Gosselin, BC Water and Resource Department
Bruce Spangler, Explore Butte County
Kevin Zeitler, Oroville Recreation Advisory Committee
- View Chico Enterprise Record Coverage
- Independent Forensic Team Report: Oroville Dam Spillway Incident
League President Speaks Regarding The Observation of Proposed Property-Based Improvement District Vote
League of Women Voters of Butte County President Debra Barger Addresses City Council.