The LWV of the District of Columbia (LWVDC) is celebrating the League's Centennial during February with events centered around the February 14 Day of Action with the People Powered Fair Maps™ Project.
LWVDC's objective is to "get on the map," i.e., achieve statehood for DC so that we have Congressional representation and have our votes count. To that end we plan a series of activities in all eight Wards in the District of Columbia. The DC League's activities relate to Focus Area 5: Civic Engagement & Education
Our currently planned activities include:
- Tuesday, February 11th, in the morning, volunteers will register voters at the Naturalization Ceremony at the U.S. Courthouse in Ward 6. We have requested an opportunity to give the official welcome and have volunteered to host a reception for the new citizens.
- Thursday, February 13th, in the evening, we are planning community outreach with a trivia contest at the Huddle in Ward 5. Many trivia questions will focus on the DC statehood issue.
- Thursday, February 13th, at 6:30 pm, there is a membership meeting at the Cleveland Park Library in Ward 3 to educate members on the People Powered Fair MapsTM project and how it relates to DC statehood.
- Friday, February 14th, there will be a foster grandparent event at Matthews Memorial Baptist Church, 2816 Martin Luther King Jr Avenue, SE, in Ward 8.
- Friday, February 14th, at 2 pm, there will be a DC statehood education program at The Residences at Thomas Circle, a retirement community at 1330 Massachusetts Ave, NW, in Ward 2, with postcard writing to friends and family around the country urging them to contact their Congressional delegation to support statehood for DC.
- Saturday, February 15th, noon to 5 pm, we will celebratewill birthday of Frederick Douglass, which will focus on suffrage this year. An event is planned at the Anacostia Playhouse Black Box Theater in Ward 7 at 3pm. Leaguers will be working with the National Park Service providing voter registration from noon to 5pm.
- Monday, February 17th, Presidents Day, from noon to 4 pm, we plan to register Ward 5 and 6 voters in Northeast Washington at the Benning Courts Apartments, across from the Hechinger Mall at Benning Road and H Street, NE and inside the Mall itself. This is a strategic area to register voters because many people who are new to the neighborhood and to DC have moved there is the last three years.
Go to the LWVDC website for further information.
lwvdc1920 [at] gmail.com