Support of safe storage, management and disposal of hazardous wastes generated in Humboldt County, with special emphasis on reduction of wastes to be disposed of, increased awareness of hazardous materials use and disposal, and realization that all users of hazardous materials should share in the responsibility for costs of hazardous waste management
Position In Brief:
- All hazardous wastes in the county must be disposed of safely.
- All users of hazardous materials should share in the costs of the safe storage, management and disposal of hazardous wastes in the county.
- A transfer station should be supported in the county, for county wastes only, provided it meets stringent health, safety, environmental and land use standards.
- If a Class I Hazardous Waste Disposal Site becomes a requirement in Humboldt County, it should accept only hazardous waste generated in this county, and the site must meet the LWVUS Hazardous Waste Siting Criteria; additionally, it should not be near facilities frequented by large numbers of people.
- Responsibility should be designated locally to inventory hazardous wastes in this county, and to determine appropriate alternatives to land disposal, i.e. recycling and source reduction.
- Support thorough and comprehensive training for local existing emergency response personnel and a well trained and properly equipped local team capable of responding to hazardous waste emergencies throughout the county.
- Support measures to increase consumer awareness and education for people of all ages, regarding hazardous wastes in the home, community or county.
- Support the consumer's right to know what hazardous materials are used and what hazardous wastes are generated and/or transported within the county.
League to which this content belongs:Humboldt County