Support of city and county policies and programs with incentives for the private sector for programs which meet the need for accessible, affordable, and quality care of minors.
Position In Brief:
- Support of local policy committed to the following principles: Caring for children is society's as well as family's responsibility; quality child care should be responsive to the diverse needs of children and their families and available to all socioeconomic groups.
- Support for a local administrative structure to implement child care policies, programs and services which meet the following criteria: Efficiently coordinates private and public programs; effects cooperation of responsible agencies; advocates for child care; and is responsive to public concerns.
- Support for diverse community efforts to meet identified local needs for child care services. Support measures that: Explore the needs and services available; provide community wide development, coordination and implementation of child care policies; designate a coordinator for child care services; provide incentives for private providers and employers through such means as fee waivers and simplification of the regulatory process; establish child care benefits and services for private and/or local government employees as a model employer; include child care elements in the General Plan.
- Affordability--Promote and support: State and Federal assistance for child care needs through reliable and diverse sources of funding; "flex" benefits (with a child care component) by public and private employers; measures to provide child care for all income levels, such as tax credits and grants.
- Availability/Accessibility--Support the use of public lands and facilities for child care programs. Support efforts to recruit licensed child care providers throughout the County.
- Quality--Support efforts to provide a variety of information and support services to child care providers, especially family day care providers. Support effective monitoring of child care programs. Encourage child care providers and staff to provide and maintain quality child care. Encourage family day care homes to become licensed. Advocate for and support increased wages and benefits for child care providers. Support provision of information for parents regarding child care services.
League to which this content belongs:Humboldt County