Support of services which prevent children from being placed in foster care, and which provide safe and supportive foster care when required.
Position In Brief:
- The primary goals of foster care in Humboldt County are the physical, emotional, and social protection, care, and growth of each child.
- Support coordination, cooperation and open communication among all agencies providing services to families and children.
- Support policies to reduce psychological disruption of the child.
- Support efforts to insure compatible matches of child and foster home by increasing the number of licensed foster homes available to children in need.
- Provide enough emergency placements for the number of children needing placement.
- Support family reunification when it is in the best interest of the child.
- Support separate staff positions for recruiting, training, and retaining foster parents.
- Support public education to inform citizens of the need for foster parents.
- Support a grievance procedure in which biological and foster parents can address concerns without fear of reprisal.
- Insure appropriate implementation of the home study component of the state licensing procedure.
- Augment state procedures for licensing foster parents with a training component which includes child development.
- Support respite care, by trained workers, for foster parents.
- Require biological parents to complete parenting training as part of their service agreement.
- Special recognition should be given to the needs of elderly foster parents.
League to which this content belongs:Humboldt County