You can support the League with your time
Join The League!
Become a part of the League of Women Voters!
There are many possible ways for you to participate actively in the League's work. Once you join, you will learn of volunteer opportunities through the League's newsletter (the VOTER), by signing up to receive email announcements, by attending unit meetings, or by coming back to this website.
You can also email our Volunteer Coordinator
The League has a guilt-free policy for its members. You can join and participate as much or as little as you like. Many active members were inactive for years, then increased their participation as their lives changed.
Much of the League's Work is done through committees.
- Voter Service: Poll watching, registering voters, monitoring election procedures, candidate forums, ballot measure analysis and Ballot measure speakers, Voter's Edge support: voterservice@LWVlosangeles.org.
- Action: Health care, full public financing, redistricting, Observer Corps; ballot measure advocacy: email@example.com.
- Program: Assist in organizing educational events and conferences and League program planning: program@LWVlosangeles.org.
- Community Policing: Researching ways to make an impact in the area of criminal justice reform. Co-chairs Marjorie Green and Carolina Goodman, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Homeless Action: Searching for proactive ways to make a different in homelessness in Los Angeles. Chair, Sandra Trutt, email@example.com.
- Election Integrity: Money in Politics Focus on threats to the integrity of the voting system. Mary Dobson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- City Retirement Benefits: LWVLA will continue to advocate for reform of Los Angeles City Retirement Benefits based on its positions and will educate members and city residents about the issue.
- Carbon Reduction & Climate Change: The LWVLA addresses climate change at the local level by educating the community about climate change and by advocating for actions by local agencies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Chair, Margie Engel, green@LWVlosangeles.org.
- Education: Oversight of LAUSD.
- Gun Safety: Searching for proactive ways to make a different in homelessness in Los Angeles. Chair, Sandra Trutt, email@example.com.
- Instant Run-Off Voting: Advocacy of Instant Runoff Voting for single seat elections.
A part of the League dedicated to research on issues, interviews, and reaching member consensus.
- City Finance: Propose LWVLA position on the impact of city employee pension plans on the city budget. Co-chairs, Jane Goichman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- K-12 Education: Restudying LWVLA position with emphasis on governance. Contact Ida Mae Windham,email@example.com
- Prison System: Prepare proposal for statewide study through research and communication with all local leagues. Chair, Jean Thomson,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programs and Projects
- Campaign Watch Commission: Serving as staff for the commissioners in their work to arbitrate false, prejudicial or personal attack campaign complaints in an expeditious manner.
- Youth Engagement: Service Learning is a graduation requirement for LAUSD high school students. The YES! Committee collaborates with students and faculty to promote and provide support for civic engagement service learning projects which satisfy this requirement. Specifically, YES! works with each participating school's local elected officials, i.e., City Council and Board of Education members, to explore their potential collaboration and assistance in students' service learning projects in their communities. Chair, Mona Field, email@example.com.
- Interns: Mentor, train and integrate interns into LWVLA. Carolina Goodman, internships@LWVlosangeles.org.
- Election Management Services: Manage elections for community organizations such as home owners associations, public housing developments, and governing boards. Contact the League office at em@LWVlosangeles.org or call 213-368-1616 for quote.
- Voter Newsletter: Edit monthly articles, manage editorial policy and goals. To submit material or to become involved as assistant editor, contact Marilu Guevara,info@LWVlosangeles.org.
- VotersEdge.org/CA: Assist in maintaining and expanding the service of California's pre-eminent voter information website, votersedge.org/ca. Elizabeth Vitanza: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Legislative Interviews: Interview Los Angeles members of the legislature on League issues on state League positions (LWVC in February & March). If you are interested please contact Jean Thomson, email@example.com
- Membership Committee: Assist with welcome calls, event planning, database maintenance, mailings, recruitment and engagement initiatives. Chair, Sandra Trutt, membership@LWVlosangeles.org.
- Development/Fundraising: Chair, Crissi Avila, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communications: Expand LWVLA's use of PR tools, media database, media outreach planning, community outreach Please contact communications@LWVlosangeles.org.
- Website: Maintain, update, and expand public website at www.LWVlosangeles.org. Contact Marilu Guevara, email@example.com
- Finance Committee: Assist in asset investment strategy and oversight. Co-Chairs, Raquel Beltran and Gerry Sallus.