What Is the League of Women Voters?
Our Mission: The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters' goal is to empower citizens to shape better communites worldwide.
We are a nonpartisan political membership organization, which:
- acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process
- engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
We believe in:
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- the power of collective decision making for the common good.
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek out path to the future.
We never endorse or oppose political parties or candidates, but we are political.
The League of Women Voters began with the movement to secure the right to vote for women. Since 1920 League members have worked to improve our government and engage all Americans in the decisions that impact their lives.
We work at all levels of government, engaging in education on issues as well as advocacy.
The League is a grassroots organization providing every member with opportunities to learn and educate others about government, and to take action on public policy. We believe that everyone must participate if our community is to be strong, safe and vibrant.
League members meet to discuss topics in a respectful setting. They learn effective techniques for public discussion, how to advocate on specific policies, and about the issues that affect their communities. The League hosts public forums and debates that are known for being fair, transparent and civil.
Participation in the League provides a wide range of experiences and issues that will inform you and create greater possibilities for civic engagement. Spend as much or as little time as you wish. Whether you aspire to leadership or want to follow the lead of experienced members, the League will excite, use, and nurture your civic curiosity, ideals, or desire for action. The League offers webinars, workshops, other events and opportunities throughout the year, at the local, regional, state and national levels.
- Attend an event on our calendar
- Contact us to get involved