Selection of Supervisors: Support procedures to ensure an open and responsive process of selecting supervisors in San Mateo County.
Long-range Planning: Support a process in which the Board of Supervisors takes responsibility for setting goals, priorities and long-range planning for county needs. Public participation in this process should be encouraged.
County Boards and Commissions: Support procedures for appointment to county boards and commissions which promote responsible and effective citizen input to government in accordance with state law
County Superintendent of Schools: Support the appointment of the County Superintendent of Schools by the elected County Board of Education.
County position. Adopted 1974, revised 1988, 1996, 2008, amended 2010
Selection of Supervisors Objectives:
- Limitation on overall spending in county campaigns
- County-financed mailing of candidates’ biographies and statements with the ballot booklet
- Continued opposition to using the term “Incumbent” on the ballot
County Boards and Commissions Objectives:
- Public notice of vacancies should be made well in advance of appointment date.
- Standardized application forms and interviews should be used.
- Specific qualifications should not be required to serve on boards and commissions other than residency, citizenship and voter registration.
- Members should be chosen so that the boards and commissions represent a broad cross-section of the community.
- Members should be chosen on the basis of their ability to evaluate the issues and to come to decisions, and their willingness to give the time needed to serve.
- Members should be legally limited to three consecutive terms of service on a board or commission.
- Procedures should be established to terminate the service of members who do not attend meetings on a regular basis.