Our Mission and Roles
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate.
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
- Voters Service/Citizen Education: we present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and issues.
- Action/Advocacy: we are also nonpartisan, but, after study, we use our positions to advocate for or against particular policies in the public interest.
To conduct our voter service and citizen education activities, we use funds from the League of Women Voters Education Fund, which is a 501(c)(3) corporation, a nonprofit educational organization. The League of Women Voters, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation.
Our Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions guide our activities.
Western Nevada County League
The League of Women Voters of Western Nevada County began in 1978 when a few League members from other areas moved here and formed a Member-at-Large (MAL) group, which later developed into a Provisional League.
In 1984 all necessary requirements were met and the group was accorded full status by the National and California State Leagues as the LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF WESTERN NEVADA COUNTY.
2017 - 2019 Board Members
Left to right: Sharon O'Hara, JoAnn Marie, Valerie Stuart, David Jones, Stephanie Mandel, Holly Pettitt, Lori Benivento, Andrea Eschegaray, Janice Bedayn, Carol Kuczora
- President - Janice Bedayn
- Vice President - Michaela King
- Secretary - Andrea Echegaray
- Treasurer - David Jones
- Communications - Stephanie Mandel
- Historian - Sharon O'Hara
- Hospitality - Carol Kuczora, Patricia Wo
- Legislative - Stephen Munkelt
- Membership - Lori Benevento
- Observer Corps - JoAnn Marie
- Parliamentarian - Sharon O'Hara
- Program - Fran Cole
- Voter Services Elections - Holly Pettitt
- Voter Outreach - Val Stuart
- Legislative Advocacy
- Observer Corps
- Voter Services Candidate Forums
- Voter Services Election Resources
- Voter Services Voter Outreach
- Joan Lancaster & Miriam Swift 1980-1981
- Mary Adams 1981-1982
- Edi Silverman 1982-1984
- Shirley Price 1984-1986
- Eloise Gregory 1986-1987
- Susan Shotwell 1987-1988
- Virginia Birdsall 1988-1989
- Bonnie Taylor 1989-1991
- Eloise Gregory 1991-1992
- Betty Taylor 1992-1993
- Scottie Shields 1993-1995
- Mary Dreifuss & Dottie Schmidt 1995-1996
- Mary Dreifuss 1996-1997
- June Englebright 1997-1999
- Dottie Schmidt 1999-2000
- Joan Lancaster 2000-2002
- Mary Dreifuss & Edi Silverman 2002-2004
- Dottie Schmidt 2004-2005
- Board of Directors 2005-2007
- Ruth Schwartz 2007-2010
- Board of Directors 2010-2011
- Karen Schwartz 2011-2014
- Anne DeWitt 2014-2015
- JoAnn Marie 2015-2017
Other League Organizations
Our members are also members of: