What is our mission? What do we do? What is our history?
What Is the League of Women Voters?
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate.
We are a non-partisan, multi-issue organization, established at the national, state, and local levels to promote voter education and participation in public issues.
What Makes the League of Women Voters Unique?
We take positions on issues, but we do not endorse or support particular candidates or political parties.
Who Are the Members of the League of Women Voters?
We are concerned, socially conscious, and politically active women and men, in more than 1,000 local Leagues across the United States.
- League of Women Voters Provide
- Belmont League of Women Voters Provide
- History of the Belmont League of Women Voters
- studies of social and political issues and develops policy positions based on member consensus.
- individual participation in the political process.
Informs & Educates...
- the public about social and political issues and legislative initiatives.
- millions of voters across the nation.
- debates among political candidates and holds public policy forums.
Takes Action and Lobbies Government...
- at all levels in support of its policy positions.
- citizens and non-citizens about their rights and responsibilities.
We are truly a grassroots organization...
Sponsors Candidates Night
- Sponsors Candidates Night for all local elections.
Publishes the 'Voter Guide'
- Publishes the Voter Guide, which provides information on all candidates for Town Meeting and town-wide office.
Registers New Voters
Studies Local Issues
- Studies Local Issues, such as welfare and affordable housing policy initiatives, diversity in Belmont, the responsibilities of town committees and their selection process, services and programs for seniors.
- Hosts forums on local issues, including zoning, traffic mitigation, the open meeting law, and long-range planning.
- Sponsors Winter Luncheon and regular brown-bag lunches with local speakers.
Publishes 'The Belmont Voter'
- Publishes the Belmont Voter newsletter with information about local and regional events and coverage of Belmont town committee meetings.
Works with Other Leagues
- Works in conjunction with the State and National Leagues on issues of common concern.